Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Antelope Hunting

First antelope hunt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2009, 12:38 PM
Silver Member

First antelope hunt

I was successful in my first Wyoming draw for area 27. This will be my first Antelope hunt and the first time hunting in Wyoming. I've spent a lot of time in Wyoming in the past shooting High Power competition when I lived in Rapid City so I have been threw the area before. I plan to drive out from Florida and hunt the public land, camping out of my vehicle. My new long range hunting rifle is in the works at Long Shot Rifles in 7WSM. I plan to mount a NF 5x22 scope on it. If that doesn't get here in time I've got a back up accurized .308 I've shot out to 1,000yds plenty of times with a VARI-X III 4.5x14 on it. I've also been accumulating all the necessary equipment I've learned about from reading posts and articles on this site over the last year. Thanks to all the long range hunters on this site for your advise. I feel fairly confident I can pull this off thanks to the expert advise I've gotten, thank you. If anyone has any information concerning hunting antelope in Wyoming, area 27, or anything else that may be beneficial to a first timer, I would greatly appreciate it.

Gordon
Niceville, FL
Old 07-03-2009, 08:30 PM
Silver Member

Re: First antelope hunt

27 Should be good antelope country. Fairly flat with rolling hills. Good luck and please post your results.
Old 07-17-2009, 05:06 PM

Congratulations on your draw. Six of us from NE AR have tags for that zone and I've hunted it four times with 100% success. There is a new motel at Bill where the doctors will be staying. I usually take a small tent and pitch it beside the road were dark finds me. I have always filled my tags within a couple of days. During the first of the season you can find a secluded location, and the road hunters will run the lopes to you. The hunters are pretty thick the first week end so if you are hunting for a 15 incher or better you may want to scout before the season. If you want a good one, I wouldn't take the first buck I saw. I'm a meat hunter so I usually go toward the end of the season, after the crowds have cleared out some. Ive taken walking shots from 150 to 385 yards. I have concluded I can't lead an antelope enough if he is running full out. I was leading a running buck as much as I could and keep him in the scope and filled my doe tag by hitting the doe behind him in the head. Most of the zone is closed to shooting prairie dogs but I found plenty in the next zone to the north toward Newcastle in June of this year
Oh, and watch out for the cactus. I wear all leather boots and put on my leather gloves if I have to crawl.
Good luck
James
Old 07-17-2009, 08:13 PM
Silver Member

I agree with James watch out for the cactus! Some from our group use knee pads to get in close.
This last year we got there after the crowds left in our area and I had the best hunt yet. There were still plenty of nice bucks left.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:05 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for the tips. I was planning to wear leather gloves and maybe some knee pads. I also plan to camp out of my vehicle. I won't be hunting the opening weekend since I'll be traveling from Florida those days and plan to get there around Monday. I also plan to do some walking to areas farther off the beaten path if there is such a thing in that area. Can't wait to get out there. I should have my new 7WSM rifle from LongShot Rifles by then and I'm looking forward to trying that out. Good luck to you guys.

Gordon
Old 07-22-2009, 11:09 PM
Silver Member

Gcamp54,
My youngest son and I hunted & camped A27 2 years ago...We took two nice lopes and a nice 3x3 mulie.....Bring plenty of water if you are camping (for both drinking and washing) most creeks were bone dry when we were there.....You didn't mention deer hunting but there are leftover tags for Deer unit B available now online....

CACTUS...I had leather gloves, knee pads......But nothing extra on my butt...watchout where you sit down...

Good Luck,
Randy
Old 07-23-2009, 09:56 AM
Silver Member

Thanks. Looks like I will be using knee pads in addition to gloves. I'll think about the mule deer tag. I was trying to keep my expenses down on this trip. I was planning to do a mule deer trip next year along with an OTC Elk trip in Colorado to follow.

Anyone know if I can hunt coyote in that area? James mention that prairie dog hunting is close in most of that area.

Gordon