Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Antelope Hunting

bipod or improvised rest?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2012, 07:00 AM
Silver Member

Re: bipod or improvised rest?

I use sticks when varmint hunting but when Antelope hunting it's the old hat on Sage brush rest or backpack for a rest. I just don't want to carry any more than I have to but I hunt by walking & not riding around on my a**. I know I will not cover as much ground as some one in a truck but, I like spot & stalk hunting & the satisfaction of walking & smelling the sage brush. It's just me.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:12 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100 Remington Man View Post
I use sticks when varmint hunting but when Antelope hunting it's the old hat on Sage brush rest or backpack for a rest. I just don't want to carry any more than I have to but I hunt by walking & not riding around on my a**. I know I will not cover as much ground as some one in a truck but, I like spot & stalk hunting & the satisfaction of walking & smelling the sage brush. It's just me.
Remington man, I agree, that's the way I like to hunt them also.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100 Remington Man View Post

I used to like to hunt that way. now a rod, three plates and 14 screws kinda slows me up, sorry,,,, 11B reduced to REMF,,, road hunter :( chase them out to me
Old 08-17-2012, 09:49 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geronimo.tn View Post
Remington man, I agree, that's the way I like to hunt them also.
Me too!
Old 08-17-2012, 01:50 PM
Bronze Member

thanks for the advise guys this is my 5th antelope hunt spread over several years. in the past I've used improvised rests (backpack, coat, bush) and shooting sticks from a sitting position. the shooting sticks in a sitting position didn't work out because the wind buffeted me too much. I've ordered a swivel bipod and will give it a thorough trial at home before deciding to take it to Wyoming. thanks for the advise good hunting
Old 08-30-2012, 09:12 PM
Silver Member

I like the stoney point rapid pivot bipods. I carry the prone and sitting/kneeling model so I can match the conditions quickly. I also end up using my Eberlestock J34 as an aid if there is time. I can often use a part of it as a rear bag when prone, or stand it up under my elbow and stock when shooting sitting. It sounds odd, but can really make things more stable.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:38 AM
Gold Member

I like the looks of the stoney point, would the sitting, prone model work for me? I am 6'2" and always use their magnum shooting sticks but would like to have a set attached to the rifle for mostly sitting but maybe prone sometimes.