Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Antelope Hunting

bipod or improvised rest?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2012, 12:17 AM
Bronze Member

bipod or improvised rest?

Question for you experienced antelope hunters, do you use a bipod or improvised rest (backpack, jacket, bush, rock, etc). This is not my first antelope hunt. I used improvised rests in the past , not always with the best results and am considering a Harris bipod.
So, what say ye??
Old 08-09-2012, 05:55 AM
Platinum Member

Re: bipod or improvised rest?

For my hunting field conditions, I use a 13 1/2" - 27" Harris bipod that allows me a steady shot from prone to sitting but will adapt accordingly, it's rare but if I need lower than 13 1/2", I'll use my pack as a rest.

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:49 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geronimo.tn View Post
Question for you experienced antelope hunters, do you use a bipod or improvised rest (backpack, jacket, bush, rock, etc). This is not my first antelope hunt. I used improvised rests in the past , not always with the best results and am considering a Harris bipod.
So, what say ye??

If you are considering a bi pod there are things you need to remember when using one.

They can effect the zero so the rifle must be sighted in using the bi pod and the same
procedure should be used for hunting as for practice. (Pushing forward on the bi pod
is the most common while shooting).

They are very handy in tall grass and can make a difference, But again, practice with the
bi pod in the sitting position or if shooting in short or no grass the prone position is best.

If conditions vary from hunt to hunt two bi pods of different lengths may be required and
can be changed out based on the conditions when arriving at the shooting sight.

Or install the one needed for sitting (Taller) and use the improvised rest for the prone shooting.

J E CUSTOM
Old 08-09-2012, 09:55 AM
Silver Member

I carry 2 bipods a 9-13 inch and a 13-27 inch. The short one is always attached to my rifle. If I get into a situation where I need the taller one I can hide behind something long enough to change it out. I can get really solid on my pack If I need to but the best position is prone with a bipod in front and my pack in the back. I use a pretty light weight rifle most of the time so I don't pre-load the bipod at all, also if I have to shoot from some position other than prone a rear support is mandatory for me to shoot past 350 or so.

Bob
Old 08-09-2012, 10:06 PM
Silver Member

I don't use bipods. Being an old HP shooter I use a sling. I have my rifles set up for a 1,250 sling swivels and a military type leather sling.

In only takes me a second to get it set up, and drop into position. Position depends on the grass between me and the critter.

Mostly its setting or kneeling.

Don't like bipods.
Old 08-11-2012, 12:39 PM
Gold Member

I use shooting sticks, I dont like bipods, if I need to go prone I use my pack, sitting I use my shooting sticks, shot goats out to 400 yards off sticks with nothing but meat in the freezer
Old 08-14-2012, 10:44 PM
Silver Member

I like ANYTHING I can use to get a solid. Bi-pods, sticks, rocks, backpacks, stumps, fences, you name it I will use it.