Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Antelope Hunting

best bullet for antelope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2008, 05:02 PM
Bronze Member

Re: best bullet for antelope

Mark308: I would suggest the 150 gr. 30 caliber Nosler Ballistic Tips for your two Rifles.
In the past 39 years I have shot Antelope every year sometimes in two states per year and often have killed multiple Antelope per year!
Antelope (like someone mentioned) are not difficult to kill.
If the bullet is placed through the heart/lungs area!
You will waste virtually NO EDIBLE MEAT with a broadside heart/lung shot!
Avoid hitting the shoulder blades at all costs or you will have significant meat loss no matter what bullet you use!
I have been using Nosler Ballistic Tips on Antelope for many years now in several calibers!
They fly fast and flat and accurately! And they expand quick enough and reliably enough for certain and quick kills on Antelope!
I will be in the next region east of you and your brother and I will be using my Remington 700 Sendero in caliber 270 Winchester with Nosler Ballistic Tips this year!
Best of luck to you and again avoid the shoulder blades - put your bullet into the heart/lung area and go gather up your trophy and eat it all!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Old 09-26-2008, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varmint Hunter View Post
I would choose an accurate bullet that resists the wind (high B/C) because the winds out west can be unpredictable and strong. I found it harder to dope the wind than anything else. This is why I would not advocate using a 22-250 or similar cartridge even though they have sufficient terminal energy for lopes.
No doubt. Last year I stalked a troop of does (I am primarily a meat hunter and had already gotten my buck) and crawled up behind a bush - ideal spot about 275 yards out. Ideal except for the wind, about 30 mph steady crosswind from the west, with stronger gusts to 50. Wyoming 'breezy' in other words (beware when you see that word on wunderground.com, and batten down the hatches if they say 'windy').

I was guessing at the windage, shooting the .300WSM/ 150gr. factory win ballistic silvertip$$, which is overkill for goats for sure, but I was glad of it. I held just at the very front of the chest and fired. Her mates ran every which way, no idea where the shot came from, and she just stood there for what seemed an eternity - I feared I had gutshot her, but she didn't hump, so I waited. She turned butt to me, stood for a few seconds, and just fell over.

I had hit in the lungs just south of the heart and a bit high, clipping the aorta, but north of the liver. Missed every rib somehow. No waste at all though! Yeah, wind has an effect and I am partial to that .300 for sure - it's got reach and punch. The bullet didn't expand though, which I guess is why she could just stand there, dead but not yet knowing it. Usually they get punched down NOW and never move again.

My wife's Savage .243 seems to fly similarly (with 100gr. Speer spitzer boattails) but doesn't have the punch. Nice caliber though, I like that rifle, and it doesn't pitch my new-hunter petite wife on her butt or make her afraid to shoot. Cheap ammo too if you shoot factory.

I'll hafta give those Noslers a try next year.

Last edited by RedChili; 09-26-2008 at 08:39 AM.
Old 09-26-2008, 12:01 PM
Silver Member

Another option for the 300 WSM would be a 168 or 178 a-max. If they are anything like the 7mm a-max, they would make a great antelope and long range bullet.

My $.02
Old 09-30-2008, 08:40 AM

At the range Sunday a fella was shooting A-max's (7mm IIRC) and mentioned they don't hold together well much above 3000fps - any truth to this? Seemed strange to me.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:08 AM

Red Chili, never heard that at all, of course many different variables involved in shooting at altitude because of Barometric Preasure and lack of humidity. Hell, what do I know, I shoot deer in Texas at 450 ft above sea level, and go to South texas you are 10 feet above sea level and I shoot the same bullet
Old 09-30-2008, 05:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedChili View Post
At the range Sunday a fella was shooting A-max's (7mm IIRC) and mentioned they don't hold together well much above 3000fps - any truth to this? Seemed strange to me.
NOT TRUE - at least not in my experience with the 162gr A-Max. I was shooting the A-Max at velocities between 3,050 & 3,150 ft/sec with no problems at all. My buddy shoots them even faster but I was more interested in accuracy.

I killed several Carolina whitetails with this combo with DRT results at all ranges out to 469yds. Broadside chest shots and high shoulder shots produced dead deer very quickly. The shoulder shots dropped them on-the-spot.
Old 09-30-2008, 06:19 PM
Silver Member

Was the guy talking about not holding up out of the barrel, or when they impact an animal?
I will say they come apart when they hit an animal at 3000 fps. I had to shoot an antelope at 7 yds with my WSM and let me tell you, the A-max came apart.......and thats why I like them for antelope, coues, and whitetail.