Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Antelope Hunting

ballistic tip too much for antelope??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2009, 07:13 PM
Platinum Member

ballistic tip too much for antelope??

You gotta love it when a thread starts out like this,

"A guy at the range told me..."

---- that my 150gr ballistic tip in my 7 wsm would be too destructive on antelope.

Anway, it got me thinking, is there any truth to it?

Maybe I should impose a "minimum range" for this load, besides my own "optimistic" max range of 600 yd? I say optimistic, because I've only shot this load out to 300 yards so far...

For reference, my load has muzzle velocity of 3030fps, which should carry about 2460fps at 400yd, and 2195 fps at 600yd, in 6600 ft elevation of western wyoming...

The other alternative is using 168 berger vld at 2912 fps, which should carry
about the same velocities at 400 & 600. Should I expect the berger to be any less "destructive" than the ballistic tip?

I have not killed anything yet with either load, so I'm looking for input from those who have...
Old 06-23-2009, 08:09 PM
Silver Member

Re: ballistic tip too much for antelope??

last year was my first lope hunt, I was using my 300 wsm because I later had a mule deer/elk combination hunt.

my impression, the antelope I shot, was hit on the rearest rib and the bullet exited on the oposite shoulder, bullets were nosler accubond. the deer ran for more than 200 yards before collapse.

though antelopes seem fragile, I think quite the oposite. everyone on my hunting party who took antelope, took two shots to bring them down.

yes, you can go with your 7wsm and I think its one of the best cartridge available. but the question now arises, are you eating the goat?

would I go with a 7wsm and balistic tips, yes and the heavier the better.

in an ideal world, you would be able to shoot an antelope perfectly broadside, standing still, with the wind in your favor, but thats not always true.

JOSE A. MARINE
MEXICO
Old 06-23-2009, 08:27 PM
Silver Member

i have shot them with my win 270 using a 130gr ballistic tip and also a 308 165 gr ballistic tip both animals were kill around 300 yards with one shot to the boiler room. Yes it does leave a nice hole on both sides especially the exit. like 3" holes but if you shoot them right behind the shoulder not on the shoulder then really you will not loose valuable meat. or you can just shoot them in the neck. no real meat lost and they will drop right where you hit them. patients is the key goats are somewhat curious animals and unless they really see you they won't just bolt and start running however they will gather their does up and leave rather quickly if they feel threaten. usually they will give you a side shot if you play your cards right.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:16 AM
Platinum Member

You should be just fine with your set up. I (2nd from left) harvested the fawn antelope below during a damage hunt in 2003 with 180 BT in .300WM ~ 150 yards with very little meat damage - ~ 2" exit wound.

Enjoy and have a safe hunt.

Ed

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:57 AM
Gold Member

I have shot several antelope with your exactly BT set-up. It works very well. Again, try to stay off the shoulder but quite frankly, there isn't a ton of meat on an antelope front shoulder anyway. On antelope, I wouldn't expect much difference in meat damage between the Nosler and the Berger, I've shot them with both in 7mm.

Good Luck!
Old 06-24-2009, 03:08 PM
Platinum Member

thanks for the responses.

That was about what I expected when I chose these 2 bullets but then I started over thinking my decision....
Old 06-24-2009, 03:10 PM
Platinum Member

pressman - where on the neck?