Antelope at the table?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2009, 11:10 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Antelope at the table?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FEENIX View Post
It depends on what they feed on (the ones I have harvested here in MT feed mostly on wheat and alfalfa ... where I hunted in AZ and NM, they feed on sage brush so they are gamey) and how you take care of the meat after the shot and how you prepare it. Having said that, my MT antelope harvest are not gamey at all and I cook them like I would beef. I like their meat better than deer.
Plus 2...

IMO, alfalfa fed antelope is the best tasting meat on the planet. i like it better than the best beef I've had. In fact I'm cooking up some spaghetti with antelope grinds now. On the flipsdie, sage fed antelope is the strongest gamiest meat I've ever had. Good for heavily spiced sausage.

Also, you need to get them cooled as qick as possible. That makes a HUGE differnce.

Mark
Old 11-19-2009, 12:40 AM
Bronze Member

I like antelope better than deer also. I mostly fry it. Cut it thin, add a little worcherstershire(sp?) sauce, some Tony Chachere's, dust with flour and into the deep fryer!! YUM!!!!
Old 11-19-2009, 06:42 AM
Platinum Member

If I can, I give it away. If I do want one for camp meat I will try to shoot a fawn. Of course I also gave away a whole elk.
Old 11-19-2009, 06:54 AM
Silver Member

I killed my first antelope this year and got a buck and doe. The meat on both have been excellent. This is the first game meat my wife really likes. I de-boned it right away and kept it cool until I got back to Florida. The cuts of meat have no membranes or tendons in them. I cut all that out. I harvested both in Eastern Wyoming. So far I've fried all the antelope I've eaten so far.

Gordon
Niceville, FL
Old 11-19-2009, 09:44 AM
Gold Member

I've only shot 3 antelope so far, and all 3 have been very good table fare. We fill the body cavity with ice as soon as they are field dressed, and butcher them that afternoon/evening. I normally fry mine in olive oil after coating them with either dry bisquick seasoned with lemon pepper and garlic or rolled in a dry cajun fish batter.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:55 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
normally fry mine in olive oil after coating them with either dry bisquick seasoned with lemon pepper and garlic or rolled in a dry cajun fish batter.
That is a good idea. I normally have both of those ingredients in my cooking gear.
Old 11-21-2009, 08:54 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by esshup View Post
I've only shot 3 antelope so far, and all 3 have been very good table fare. We fill the body cavity with ice as soon as they are field dressed, and butcher them that afternoon/evening. I normally fry mine in olive oil after coating them with either dry bisquick seasoned with lemon pepper and garlic or rolled in a dry cajun fish batter.
I believe a gym sock would be palatable prepared this way.

We live on game in my house and antelope is always a treat.