Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Antelope Hunting

Antelope success chances

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2010, 09:07 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Antelope success chances

Can't speak to the GPS issue cuz I don't have one... hopelessly anachronistic with maps out the whazoo...

On the other question, however, I can tell you this: I did a little virtual scouting and looked over the information on the F&G site to narrow down a hunting area. I'm from the east like Derek, and hunted for the first time this year.

See my thread on this board to view my results... my 8 yr was all smiles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Goiing back next year w/ a 6.5-284, doe tags, and empty coolers!!

Forgot to say... it was my first-ever western hunt and we saw TONS of goats while scouting the night before the opener. Tons of hunters on the opener too...

Last edited by efw; 10-22-2010 at 09:08 PM. Reason: last details...
Old 10-23-2010, 01:22 PM
Bronze Member

I just got back from WY antelope and deer hunt. I hunted zone 64 and saw hundreds of antelope on public land. I used the software in my Garmin Oregon 400 and it worked well. I used BLM maps also. The walk on hunting area maps are also usefull.
While I was deer hunting zone 90 for deer I saw lots and lots of antelope on pulic lands. I'm not sure what zones they where all in. There is a lot of BLM and walk in land between Casper and Riverton.
I shot my antelope on the 2nd day of hunting. I could have shot decent bucks the first day. You should have no problem being successful.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Just returned from WY and spent 2 days hunting antelope. I looked over two hunt areas that have been no problem in the past filling tags. This year was different. my son and I each had a doe tag. We still have them, never chambered a round. I was using the maps GPS and checked every public unit in our hunt area that was not land locked. No antelope to be found. Many other hunters with the same problem as well. I would advise you to do some pre-application research to choose an area. In the years past the population was good on the public areas we hunt. But this year was different. I got a call from a friend yesterday that was there and was having the same issues. More hunters than antelope.

Jeff
Similar issues here where I live. Doe antelope population was 180 out from last year. Perhaps there was a big die off somewhere, and the survivors just spread out to fill the gap? We saw hundreds and hundreds of does last season.

I didn't even see the typical rutting behavior. Bucks didn't seem to care if they were with does or not. Buck doe ratio was way higher than I'd seen in a long long time.

Doesn't sound like it was that way all across the state, but certainly was in some spots.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:05 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
There is a lot of BLM and walk in land between Casper and Riverton.
True enough. Just remember you have to access the public lands from a public road, or from a primitive road that does not cross private lands.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:22 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks for all the help. I will be hunting in Wyoming next year! Thankful for still being able to hump the hills and my new GPS!
Jerry