Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Antelope Hunting

Antelope-good to eat?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2012, 10:23 PM
Silver Member

Re: Antelope-good to eat?

Oh yeah! Forgot to mention antelope when shot with a large caliber taste like butt.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:29 PM
Gold Member

In My opinion is they are not edible.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:48 PM
Platinum Member

Want some? NM, NM, NM !!!

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:20 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucknbach View Post
Oh yeah! Forgot to mention antelope when shot with a large caliber taste like butt.
Damn I got 4 doe tags and was hoping two would line up so I could see if they'd stop my .458 Lott. I'll take my .338 Edge and maybe my 7-300wm to stretch things out too. You have to spread the wealth between the rifles.

I've never had a antelope that I would call good and most were pretty rank. Several of them my dog wouldn't even eat. I will take others advise here and give it a go one more time.
Old 07-18-2012, 03:36 AM
Silver Member

After hunting in goats western Wyoming for years, I have made it a point on the trip to shoot them out of crop fields. More often then not, it's alfalfa. The meat typically taste better than chasing them on the wide open sage. I think because of diet and because than animal seems more relaxed. The property owners are usually more than happy to let you take goats and the owner tag for like $16 per goat from the state. Five guys, ten tags, one land owner with less crop damage and $160+ free money in their pocket. They will welcome you to hunt. I have began to shoot for the head and neck in the last couple years. I was damaging too much meat and tainting it at times. If the animal is DRT, in a crop field and you can take good care of it asap. You will have some fine eating. It you drive around sage covered state/fed land, stop the truck and blast from the ditch. You won't have near the table quality, I promise!
Old 07-18-2012, 05:12 PM
Silver Member

Feenix-- those look great, I BBCUE Antelope all the time, Rare to med rare, Its simply the finest meat there is. Its amazing to me how many dont like it or thinks its bad. Feed, area of hunt, time of day, shoot when they are quiet and relaxed, scout ahead to know your prey, cool them fast, keep em clean and eat em' FINE! None Better.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:02 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtntrapper1 View Post
Feenix-- those look great, I BBCUE Antelope all the time, Rare to med rare, Its simply the finest meat there is. Its amazing to me how many dont like it or thinks its bad. Feed, area of hunt, time of day, shoot when they are quiet and relaxed, scout ahead to know your prey, cool them fast, keep em clean and eat em' FINE! None Better.
Yep, where I hunt them, they feed on alfalfa and wheat. Most of my harvests makes it to the game processing plant by 1100.

I've hunted AZ, NM, and part of MT where they feed on nothing but sage brush/grass and you can tell the difference.

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.