Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Antelope Hunting

Antelope-good to eat?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2012, 11:28 PM
Silver Member

Antelope-good to eat?

Thought i would ask this question. What does it taste like, i have had lot of peaple tell me that it don't taste good. now I'm guessing that would have a lot to do with how it's cared for especially getting hide off as soon as possible It can ruin the meat pretty quick from the lanalin in the hide so I have been told. Those of you who live, breath and sleep Antelope can you give me a honest answer. I have never hunted antelope would like to some day, but curiosity has got the best of me. Thanks guys for any reply's . I'm thinking sausage
Old 07-16-2012, 11:47 PM
Silver Member

Re: Antelope-good to eat?

I have really enjoyed antelope meat. BBQ the back straps med rare, awesome. Tastes kinda sweet, makes great sausage too.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:42 AM
Silver Member

My therory on hunting antelope, aim for the front shoulders with the biggest gun you can get your hands on,thats half you dont have to eat! Personaly I dont like antelope. If I kill one I either give it away or make jerky of the whole thing. Guess thats why I only trophy hunt, if it isnt big I would rather eat my tag. Tag soup yummy.....not!
Old 07-17-2012, 05:45 AM
Silver Member

I did not care for the meat after I shot an Antelope... It stinks when cooking bad enough I cooked mine outside.
I put mine in Chili to get rid of it
Old 07-17-2012, 06:35 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemens View Post
Thought i would ask this question. What does it taste like, i have had lot of peaple tell me that it don't taste good. now I'm guessing that would have a lot to do with how it's cared for especially getting hide off as soon as possible It can ruin the meat pretty quick from the lanalin in the hide so I have been told. Those of you who live, breath and sleep Antelope can you give me a honest answer. I have never hunted antelope would like to some day, but curiosity has got the best of me. Thanks guys for any reply's . I'm thinking sausage
Had chicken fried antelope steak last night for dinner. It was awesome. You can cut it with a fork and I like it as good as any beef steak. You nailed it in your post. Get the hide off it and cilled asap! That is the key. We typically hunt them on warm days, you leave them lay around and they will not taste good. I actually prefer it to elk, believe it or not. And the hamberger is to die for. We eat about 6 to 8 of them a year. We like it so well we go out of state to get enough tags. You take care of it properly you are in for a treat. Leave it lay around on a warm day ..... well I can tell you for sure it ain't the antelope to blame.

Jeff
Old 07-17-2012, 08:14 AM
Platinum Member

What Broz said!!!!!
Old 07-17-2012, 08:20 AM
Platinum Member

Antelope can go both ways and it depends on the care in the field, if you throw one up under a topper for the day while driving around it will be horrifying, get it skinned, washed and cooled down ASAP and it's about as good as can be had. My buddy is very handy at the grill and he does a rub on a whole antelope back strap that will blow your mind, I can eat myself sick and leftover antelope steak sandwich, WOW!! I like the sausage to so I end up taking the prime cuts and steaking them and making a snack sticks for the rest of the hunting season from the trim which is very lean on goat.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"