Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Antelope Hunting

Antelope area 29 Wyoming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2014, 07:41 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Antelope area 29 Wyoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgun 30-06 View Post
Yep, just looked it up in the Final Regulations and it sure is for private land only. The OP is screwed if he can't get a ranch to hunt on and better eat the tag if he hasn't got a place to hunt on ahead of time. The last thing you should do is try to get on a place during the season itself because, for one thing, it's not courteous and just ticks ranchers off and hurts everyone's chances. I didn't even check to see what the type 2 stipulation was and just sort of figured it had to do with hunting dates because there are a number of things that type 2 can refer to. The OP obviously did not read closely enough when he applied for that tag, which is probably a gimme since it has that restriction for private land only. Also, if he tried to use it anywhere else and got caught on public land with it I would imagine it would lead to loss of hunting priviledges in Wyoming for several years and the other 37 states that have signed on to the Violator Compact.

This was some good info to happen across, I've been vigorously researching an antelope and deer hunt for Wyoming next year. Although I was aware that there were various "types" of tags, I had not caught the detail that there were two separate types of "antlered" tags one being a what I'll call general, and a private land only.

I'm glad I stumbled across this.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio06 View Post
This was some good info to happen across, I've been vigorously researching an antelope and deer hunt for Wyoming next year. Although I was aware that there were various "types" of tags, I had not caught the detail that there were two separate types of "antlered" tags one being a what I'll call general, and a private land only.

I'm glad I stumbled across this.

FYI the Type 2 tag can be more than just what this one was for in unit 29. Sometimes it is for a certain part of a unit, (ie east half or west, north or south etc.), a lot of times it's for different season dates within the unit, and sometimes it's only good for an area within a very short distance of irrigated land. You must look at what the type is for or you can end up in deep dodo like it appears the OP is with his tag! A lot of ranchers will allow doe hunting for free, especially later in a season, but most places want money to shoot a buck and sometimes it's a pretty significant amount.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:10 PM
Bronze Member

Top gun,

Good to know, I'll pay much better attention to those moving forward. I'd hate to finally pull a unit I want only to pull the wrong type.

I've got some good ideas of where I want to go, just digging in deeper now to get more of the nitty gritty details worked out and understood.

I'm sure I'll be asking some questions in here in the coming months, but I like to have a good handle on things and only ask for others help on the obscure questions that might come up.

Thanks
Old 07-18-2014, 10:35 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio06 View Post
Top gun,

Good to know, I'll pay much better attention to those moving forward. I'd hate to finally pull a unit I want only to pull the wrong type.

I've got some good ideas of where I want to go, just digging in deeper now to get more of the nitty gritty details worked out and understood.

I'm sure I'll be asking some questions in here in the coming months, but I like to have a good handle on things and only ask for others help on the obscure questions that might come up.

Thanks

I've hunted out there most every year since 1994 for deer, antelope, and/or elk, so send me a PM if you need any help or something comes up that you need an answer to and I'll be happy to help you.
Old 07-19-2014, 10:21 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgun 30-06 View Post
I've hunted out there most every year since 1994 for deer, antelope, and/or elk, so send me a PM if you need any help or something comes up that you need an answer to and I'll be happy to help you.

Great info guys and I didn't notice that it was private land only..... Does anyone know someone in that area that will allow to guys to shoot 2 does on private land?
Old 07-20-2014, 01:56 PM
Silver Member

Get a state Walk In Booklet, I don't know if there is any in that area but it wont cost nothing to check.
Old 07-20-2014, 02:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraigwy View Post
Get a state Walk In Booklet, I don't know if there is any in that area but it wont cost nothing to check.

Not 100% sure, but that booklet may not be available any more with the cuts the G&F has had to make. He may need to get all the information off the website itself.