Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Antelope Hunting

Another great weekend with the Doublezranch crew

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2013, 09:11 PM
Platinum Member

Another great weekend with the Doublezranch crew

Well, we teamed up with Jayson (Doublezranch), his son Zayne, and his father, Derald, again and went down to unit 23 in Wyoming to whack some goats. They "brought" 4 tags, Jayson and Zayne both had 2 doe tags and Derald had one, but brought the one from last year by accident. I had 2 doe tags and an any tag, and my Dad had 2 doe tags.

We drove down Thursday (10-3-13), and we ran into some snow on the way, Jayson lost a couple pounds from the bottom of his camper in-route. I don't know exactly what went MIA, but maybe he can explain it a bit better. LOL.

Anyway, we went to sleep to some light snow fall, and woke up to heavy snowfall... and 5" of snow . It snowed the entire day, while we huddled up in the campers, and dumped another 10".

We woke up on Saturday morning to clear skies (YAY!). We drove down to Wright, watching a couple of plots of state land. Nothing on the way down. A lot of the roads were closed, and we waited... and waited... and waited... but finally, they opened the road we needed. We took a county road to a few parcels of state land. On the first one there were a couple other hunters stalking some mule deer, and there was a decent antelope buck and a few antelope does hanging around watching. They shot and took down a nice mule deer buck and a mule deer doe, but chased the antelope away. They left the two shooters to take care of the mule deer but got in front of us and got to the next chunk of state land before us. Of course there is a herd of about 45 antelope, no shooter bucks though. They shot and missed, but the herd didn't take off to far, and we tried to put a stalk on them but they got out ahead of us and off of the state land. So we drove up to the next one and saw two bucks moving around at about 1200 yards. We put the spotting scope on them and I couldn't decide if I wanted to go after them or not. I told Jayson to take a look at him and he told me he was definitely a shooter, and was actually quite a bit bigger then I thought. That sealed the deal for me, so we went off after them. We got to within 250 yards of them but they saw the 6 of us and went over the top of the hill. We followed and saw they were with a group of does. I think there were about 10-12 of them. Jayson, Zayne, and I crawled up to the top of the hill and got set up. They were from 260-320 yards out. Jayson found one of the bucks and told me to get on him. I did and I started the countdown. 3...2...1... And the shooting gallery began... I shot and my buck dropped his front legs but got back up and started trotting away, I shot at him twice more but missed, he went up on his back legs and tipped over backwards. While that happened, Jayson and Zayne were shooting like crazy! Zayne and Jayson both dropped theirs, and picked another one and each dropped another. We went up to the goats after the war was over, and I was shocked when I saw my buck. Man did he have some mass and height! His cutters are about 3" above the tops of his ears! And from the side, his bases are about 2 1/2" wide! We had to drag them about 1500 yards back to the truck. Zayne was using his Mom's 270 WSM shooting the 110 TTSX, and Jayson was using his 7 rum and 150 TTSX, I was using my 284 win with the 162 Amax. Here are the pictures. Zayne is with the bigger of his 2 does.

Another great weekend with the Doublezranch crew-image-1-.jpg
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Another great weekend with the Doublezranch crew-image-3-.jpg   Another great weekend with the Doublezranch crew-image-4-.jpg  

Another great weekend with the Doublezranch crew-image.jpg  

I'm 15
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE CUSTOM

"Dope that scope and tickle that giggle switch"

~Doublezranch

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/
Old 10-07-2013, 09:51 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Another great weekend with the Doublezranch crew

Congratulations to all, looks like a great time was had. I sure missed not heading out for goats this year, it's just good fun hunting the buggers for some reason, maybe it's that they drag real easy compared to elk

Kinda interested how those 110TTSX performed out of that 270 WSM for Zayne?
Old 10-07-2013, 10:00 PM
Platinum Member

Nice job Riley. And a great buck you got there. Looks like a fun day to me.

Thanks for the great story and sharing your hunt. I knew the way you were shootin that 284 in Townsend you would be whackin and stackin this year.

Jeff
Old 10-07-2013, 10:06 PM
Gold Member

Holy crow that looks like November. You're killing me with these early pics....Enjoy the rest of the season and you're early season looks GREAT. Nice start of the hunting season.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:13 PM
Platinum Member

Rhian, I wasn't there when they were gutting, and I forgot to look when we were skinning and boning out. IIRC MV was 3550 fps.

Jeff, Thanks, I feel extremely confident out to 800 yards with this rifle with the 162 Amax, and I really like how they are performing on game.

We are going to mount my buck, and get it scored. I think Derald wants to mount one of the does. It was by far the most fun hunting trip yet, we laughed the whole time. Oh, and I forgot, Jayson's transmission on his truck was acting funky, it wouldn't go into reverse or park, so we had to push it back to hook up his trailer. LOL

Next up is Elk in SE Wyoming, we leave Saturday morning.

I'm 15
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE CUSTOM

"Dope that scope and tickle that giggle switch"

~Doublezranch

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/
Old 10-07-2013, 10:30 PM
Silver Member

Riley I noticed your age has changed happy belated birthday. Great shooting and good luck on the elk hunt.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:57 PM
Platinum Member

I missed the Birthday change, but Happy Birthday. This year I was points only on all my apps. Next year I gotta get back in the Antelope game, too much fun to let many seasons go by. It's never snowed like that on us. Congratulations.