Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Antelope Hunting

5 Bucks Down Today PICS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2010, 08:43 PM
Platinum Member

5 Bucks Down Today PICS

Well the long awaited day of our annual (when we draw) newton hunting trip. My mom, dad, sister, grandpa and myself all had a buck tag. First buck I spotted was better than every buck we shot last year so my sister shot it making a nice shoulder shot with my 338 Lapua. It is about a 14 inch goat. Next my mom shot hers with her model 7 243 nice buck for the area about 12-13" Then we hit a dry spell for a couple hours. Then we spotted a group of about 6 smaller bucks and passed on those only to find a bigger buck standing off a quarter mile from the smaller bucks. so my grandpa who is 70 years old put one in its neck at about 200 yards with his 1903 30-06 and a 4 power weaver scope. This was all before noon. Then about 1 my dad shot his with his 300 wby it was getting ready to rain pretty hard it looked like so he decided to just shoot it. Last it was me. I was starting to regret letting my sister take the first shot because her goat was looking bigger and bigger all the time. I passed on a few smaller ones and one freak I finally decided I would just shoot the next decent 12-13 inch goat we say. Come over a hill and there were some antelope I stopped to glass and I could tell there was one that was significantly better than the rest so I got out Big Green (338 Lapua) and one of the bigger bucks just takes off running I assume its the biggest so I take off after him. I stop to glass the remaining bucks one last time before I go over the hill and decide that I think the big buck is still with them. He was only about 200 yards away but that was ok i just wanted to get one so we could call it a day.He ended up being pretty good. I have not scored him yet but i cant fit my hands around his bases. they measure just unjder 7 inches around one side is 14.5 inches the other side is 15. Here are some Pics! I just scored him he scores 81 2/8 Gross! By far my best buck. Doesnt make the book but im very happy with him

My Sister

My Mom

Grandpa

Dad

Me

Get a JOB! I already feed the bears, I dont need to feed you too!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad

Last edited by Tikkamike; 10-09-2010 at 09:44 PM.
Old 10-09-2010, 08:47 PM
Bronze Member

Re: 5 Bucks Down Today PICS

Thats a pretty nice group of bucks for one day. Some good shooting by all.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:49 PM
Platinum Member

Now that's a real 'Family Affair'
Old 10-09-2010, 10:13 PM
Platinum Member

Very Nice!

Should be pretty good eatin'
Old 10-10-2010, 01:07 AM
Gold Member

Your buck more than makes the SCI book. One thing I like about them is they give the animal credit for every inch they grow. No net scores, no gross scores. Just measure and add.

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, tears in my eyes: If you f*ck with me, I'll kill you all." Marine General Mattis

Custom built 7mm SAUM
Old 10-10-2010, 03:59 PM
Platinum Member

Awesome goat Mike. I like the whole family freezer filler day idea. Way cool.
One of my cousins wants me to ask if he can date your sister........ he thought a girl who could shoot an antelope with a 338 Lapua was something he may need to persue.
Congrats to all.
P.S. I showed him the pic of you and your dad, and reminded him thats who he'd answer to if he made her mad, and also reminded him that she just smoked a goat with a lapua, but he told me to ask anyway...... hahahahahaha.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 10-10-2010, 04:09 PM
Platinum Member

Well Tj she's got a boy friend but he's not that tough, and I'm not too attached to him so tell him to give it a try... doesn't matter to me haha.

Get a JOB! I already feed the bears, I dont need to feed you too!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad