Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Antelope Hunting

4X4s & atvs?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2010, 11:51 PM
Gold Member

Re: 4X4s & atvs?

I think in Wy. it's not legal to take a vehicle off of the road/2-track, not even to retrieve game. It is legal to use a game cart, but like kcebcj said, not in a wilderness area, but then again, you can't use ANYTHING wheeled in a wilderness area.

I wonder what they'd say about a travois behind a horse???
Old 01-04-2010, 01:57 AM
Silver Member

Seems to me they would make a great support unit. One or two stalk in with a third person riding drag out of site . Going in isn't the problem , its just so far coming out.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:08 AM
Platinum Member

In most cases you cant legaly take an ATV anywhere your pickup will not go....... If it rains figure on a lot of walking. Some ranchers dont allow ATVs and except for game retrieval are frowned upon by most hunters.
Its a lot easier to bone out a goat and carry the meat out in a backpack, even a deer boned and split between two guys is not all that hard.
Find yourself a good sadle between two water sources and let the youngsters chase the game to ya
Old 01-04-2010, 10:29 AM
Platinum Member

On The Outdoor Channel there was a show by "Eastmans"???? I think where a father & son drove fifty miles from the nearest gravel road on public land with their 4X4 truck. They pitched up a tent and camped there. They had a chance to shoot an elk, but didn't because it would not jump over a fence from private land to the public land that they were on in Wyoming. This is another reason I started this Thread.

joseph
Old 01-04-2010, 10:59 AM
Silver Member

I know a couple people that use them to get into areas as well as out of areas for hunting. Most of them are older and need the help in dragging a deer out of the area, but not all of them. Just because you don't do it or don't agree with it doesn't make it wrong. This is kind of like people who bash AR shooters, or archers vs crossbows. Not trying to start a fight or come off as snobish, just pointing this out. No, I do not use an ATV or even own one. I usually park my truck and walk for awhile (could be 1/2 mile or a couple of miles, just depends)to my hunting areas because thats what I like to do and thats how I do it. Others in the area drive up and sit in their truck, I don't agree with it but oh well thats what they do. Now hiking out dragging my rifle, treestand, and deer one weekend when there was a late heat wave and it was 80 degrees I wish I had one, but oh well. Once again, not trying to start a fight so please don't take it that way, just giving my 2 cents worth.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:50 PM
Silver Member

Greywolf18,
I can agree with you that if it is legal than it is not up to us to say someone is wrong....But when the use of ATVs degrades the quality of another person's hunt then it becomes our responsibility to get the laws changed....An ATV used to get "way back in" can bugger deer or elk out of areas along their route.....The person hunting the "in between" ground on foot basically walks for nothing because the ATV has already spooked the animals....

No one should tell me or you that we can not hunt with an AR.....Nor should anyone be allowed to detract from the quality of others hunts just because they are ill-informed on the consequences of their actions.....All the good things and downfalls of ATVs and hunting should be weighed to come up with a reasonable compromise as to their use as a hunting tool.....In my opinion, from what I have seen in the 4 states that I hunt, show me that in most cases their use is not acceptable.....

Randy
Old 01-06-2010, 09:03 PM
Platinum Member

MNbogboy, You are not going to hike any where a atv or bike could go, in reasonable time, just like you are not going to out hike a horse, and I ALMOST COULD in my 20's. I live in MT and there are extensive trails for atv use, and I mean 1000's of miles as there is ID which I frequent. You would not believe where they get on trail bikes, continetail divide etc. The spots are posted on the maps and you just have to deal with them. IM PRETTY sure a outfitter pulled a sign and "RE-MARKED" A trail closed, which borders wilderness, that is how he DELT WITH IT, it is legally open