Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Antelope Hunting

4X4s & atvs?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2010, 11:58 PM
Platinum Member

4X4s & atvs?

Are either or both of these permitted while hunting antelope & deer in Wyoming? I read about trucks chasing them. Where are they permitted?

joseph
Old 01-03-2010, 02:08 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 4X4s & atvs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph View Post
Are either or both of these permitted while hunting antelope & deer in Wyoming? I read about trucks chasing them. Where are they permitted?

joseph

What are you asking? Chase them then shoot or simply chase?

The first thing that popped into my mind after reading your post is why would anyone want to literally chase a antelope or deer with a ATV or 4X4 while hunting. That in my opinion is abuse and unfair chase. I think most western states have a Fair Chase clause in the regulations that prohibits what you’re asking. The regulations for most states are available to read on line I believe.

Now you could follow a heard of antelope from a distance using a quad or 4X4 get off and stalk to with shooting distance and that would be legal as long as you’re not shooting from a road or across any road.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 01-03-2010, 03:29 PM
Silver Member

Anyone who can afford an ATV, and afford to drag it to WY, can also afford to hire an outfitter with horses or rent horses....The use of horses out west is traditional...To pollute another frontier, as has been done with done with the Northern forests in WI and MN with the widespread use of ATVs is a travesty.....I have had 2 surgeries on my back and a family full of heart disease, but there is no place that a ATV can go in the areas I have hunted in WI, MN, MT or WY that I can't walk to.....Only some wilderness areas may be out of reach for walking but ATVs are not legal there anyway....

In MN in 2006 I walked for over an hour in the predawn darkness only to be passed by an ATV driving on a logging road closed to motorized traffic.....In my opinion if the ATV is used because it is easier or saves time to get to the place where you hunt then that means the person is lazy and that he should stay home and play video games because he is really missing the point of what hunting is, and that hunting is not supposed to be "easy" it is supposed to be fun...When hunters infringe upon the fun and quality of other peoples hunts then they are not real hunters to begin with....

While stalking a mulie buck on a mountainside in WY in 2008 I watched a guy on a ATV roar across the prairie below at a running group of antelope, he bailed off and started shooting....He never even drove over to see if he had hit anything.....I finished my stalk, shot a decent 4x4, and later drove a couple of miles to the campsite of the culprits..They were from WI (my former home state).......It was heartbreaking to see the use of ATVs in such a detrimental action against our sport....The use of ATVs in MN and WI has really reduced the quality of hunting in the areas I have hunted for nearly 5 decades....On a brighter note the National Forest System has limited their use and some areas the hunting not only has gotten better but the quality of the hunt has increased tenfold in my opinion....

ATVs are great tools for work and recreation and their controlled use in hunt related way may be OK such as in game retrieval for the handicapped & disabled.....Their use on roads designated for regular highway vehicles doesn't hurt a thing (except maybe the chances of introducing "foul" odor on the hunters clothes).....But any use of an ATV where the hunter should be walking really puts a bad mark against the tradition and heritage of hunting...

Randy
Old 01-03-2010, 03:56 PM
Gold Member

I hunted on a ranch in Wy last that we have hunted for over 10 years and there were 2 guys that had trailered their ATV's from Pa.
They ruined the hunting on the ranch for every other hunter there. I complained to the rancher (to no avail) about them driving the face of the mountain we glass from a distance then spot and stalk. They just ran them up and down the face with rifles slung in a gun holder. The steepness of the mountain I don't think wouldhave allowed fro locking up brake unslinging rifle and then make a shot.
The rest of the ranch area they just ran where ever they wanted. There are 2 tracks where the vehicle can travel and glass from. They paid no attention to them. I was so pissed all I wanted to do was sent a round thru an engine block.
They ran the antelope off to the next ranch, no one killed a decent deer buck (larger than a forkhorn). Went out the 2nd week this year and had the ranch to ourselves. Killed a nice 135" 9 pointer and a screwy 14 1/2" goat.
We glassed from the roads and stalked to within 500 (close enough) and killed. THEN took the vehicles to the downed game when everyone else was good to go.

You can walk to where you can make the shot. Glass from afar. Leave vehicle behind. That's the way its done or should be. Be mindful of the other hunters around and don't ruin their hunt. my2c.
Old 01-03-2010, 04:01 PM
Gold Member

From my limited knowledge of hunting in Wy., you cannot use either off of an established road or 2-track. If you use an ATV, you also need to purchase a sticker from WY. to be able to use one. The State has a map of legal roads/2-tracks to use them on.

As for using one, I do and will still do in a legal manner.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:49 PM
Platinum Member

Good answers guys!!!

I was wondering if I could use my atv to bring out the game after shooting it. I will be 65 and my buddy will be 67 next fall. Neither of us are in the best of shape. Can we use a 2 wheeled deer hauler to put the animals on and then wheel them out without having to carry them out? This is why I asked about the 4X4s & atvs.

We are planning to shoot them at not more than 600 yards. We were planning to stalk on foot. We're going to have fun not just to kill.

joseph
Old 01-03-2010, 09:12 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph View Post
Good answers guys!!!

I was wondering if I could use my atv to bring out the game after shooting it. I will be 65 and my buddy will be 67 next fall. Neither of us are in the best of shape. Can we use a 2 wheeled deer hauler to put the animals on and then wheel them out without having to carry them out? This is why I asked about the 4X4s & atvs.

We are planning to shoot them at not more than 600 yards. We were planning to stalk on foot. We're going to have fun not just to kill.

joseph
If there are no restrictions as to where you can go with a vehicle in your state of choice or the unit you’re in then you bet you can retrieve game with one. As for the hand operated 2 wheeled deer hauler its good everywhere as long as you’re not in a wilderness unit.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein