Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Antelope Hunting

22 Cal's legal in WYO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2013, 07:39 PM

Re: 22 Cal's legal in WYO

I have taken several white tails in mich with my .223, using 45 gn varmit loads a side lung shot is devasting, bullet explodes in chest cavity, deer go down on the spot ! the other is a middle neck shot, again they drop. using 55 grn fmj the bullet holds together and the deer will run with little or no blood trail,,, I have recovered all so far, I did bean a doe at 80 yards between the eyes,, she got up a minute later and tried to stagger away, followup lung shot stopped her cold, Head shot went below the brain thru sinus cavity and missed spine,,,, no more head shots after that. the FMJ is a poor choice and has been replaced with 50 gn HP,s I guess for my next trip west I will be carrying 60+ gn rounds in my AR, still carrying my .308 to.
I guess in average hands the 223 or 22-250 is a marginal round, close shots at water holes or short rang ambush shots only, I dont think I would try a 300 yard shot with my 223.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:37 PM
Platinum Member

Solohunter---You may want to edit your post because you are admitting that you violated the law in that FMJ bullets ARE NOT LEGAL for hunting up here in MI and most other states!!!
Old 02-12-2013, 08:41 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topgun 30-06 View Post
"it's no different than shooting prairie dogs at that distance.."

ah, but it is totally different, so you're wrong there too! If you miss a little bitty prairie dog, it's either a miss or if you're a little low you'll still blow him in half! When you miss the brain on a big game animal there is a lot more area that bullet can hit and do terrible wounding that results in a miserable, lingering death that does not allow a followup after the shot. You just don't get it that no matter how good you are on targets that it's not the same thing when an animal can move it's head at any time and even if it didn't it's still an irresponsible, unethical shot with any caliber!!! I guess you've noticed that nobody has come to your defense after you called for help!
there was no call for help,if anyone needs help it is you old man.i said i know what i can do with every rifle i own ..the fact that nobody answered proves nothing ,there on here there just quite.
Are you ever going to let this thing die ..what you call unethical is
normal for me ..never lost a animal ,,,ever...whatever i shot i killed cleanly. One last thing..there is nothing you can say,,that can cause me any more pain then i suffer from lung cancer from agent orange from my tour in nam in 1969 /1970 every day. So go away once and for all.my daily struggles are enough..iam on this site to learn not to be made a fool of.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:04 PM
Platinum Member

"..iam on this site to learn not to be made a fool of"

Then maybe you should quit posting and STFU!!! You are the one who keeps coming back for more and you damn sure did ask for help from anyone who would back you up on your head shooting BS and didn't get any!!! Now you seem to be relying on sympathy for doing a tour in Nam and being sick. Listen Booby, I'm sorry for you ills, but I also did my three years during Nam too and you're still making an azz of yourself and the one who keeps coming back for more, LOL! Again I'll tell you I don't care how good you can shoot because it doesn't make a damn bit of difference and you just don't get it!!! Now if you would use just a little bit of common sense YOU would not post any more on this thread and you won't make a fool of yourself any more because it's you that's doing it to yourself, not me!!! Here was your best quote of all, LOL:
"what you call unethical is normal for me !!!
Old 02-13-2013, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgun 30-06 View Post
Solohunter---You may want to edit your post because you are admitting that you violated the law in that FMJ bullets ARE NOT LEGAL for hunting up here in MI and most other states!!!
Twice a year I ussualy get to help cull does on a friends game ranch,

DNR rules stop at the gate !!
Old 02-13-2013, 08:28 PM
Platinum Member

Very interesting and I didn't realize that those places don't have to comply with the restrictions in place. Thanks for the reply!
Old 02-14-2013, 02:55 AM
Silver Member

Long range head shots aren't my cup o' tea. And we really shouldn't call it a head shot as much of the head simply isn't a killing shot. We should more correctly refer to these as brain shots and, in my reality, that target is simply too dynamic for consistent long range work regardless of calibre.

I have very little experience with deer and speed goats using .22 centerfire cartridges but I'd opt for the traditional bullet placement if I were to do so. I don't foresee dramatic troubles with the new calibre allowances but time will surely tell.