Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Deer Hunting

You're favorite "woods gun"? mine proved true today

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2009, 07:56 PM
Bronze Member

Re: You're favorite "woods gun"? mine proved true today

I have been using a Browning BLR in 7mm-08 for 2 years now. I have some 175gr round nose bullets that should work fine for big,heavy game but I normally use a 139 bullet for day to day hunting. The gun is kind of what I would call an all around gun because of the way it is set up. I know what most people think of see through rings. I am not a big fan of them for a "good" gun but they work for me on this gun. I put some Williams Firesights under the scope for the close in work or walking and a Leupold fixed power FX-III in 6X42 for the stuff out to 300 Yards. The gun has the worst trigger I have ever used but I have a load that will shoot MOA or on a good day .750 inch. Sometimes I can get 2 or 3 to touch! This rig should be good for anything in north America in my opinion from point blank to 300 yards given the size of the animal. A little farther if I had a good rest and learned to shoot it better at longer ranges. Here in central Texas I don't how to beat it for an all around gun.......Jim
Old 12-01-2009, 06:48 PM
Silver Member

My favorite deer guns here in MS are:

Uberti 1885 single shot rifle in 45-70, an absolute tack-driver w/Winchester 300gr

T/C contender handgun in 309 JDJ and 375 JDJ
Old 12-05-2009, 04:34 PM
Silver Member

Im a big fan of AR15's for hunting rifles. I used my 6.8 SPC last year to take this really nice Michigan 9 point, at the extremely long range of 42 yards. I have since moved to Wyoming where you can count the number of trees within 50 miles of my house on both hands and still have fingers left over.

I would like a big bore AR-15 someday but dont really need one.
Old 12-05-2009, 06:03 PM
Platinum Member

DK17hmr, nice looking buck!!! 42 yards, great that you didn't have to far to go. I think in wyoming your shots are generally going to be a LOT longer so do you plan on using the AR15? Just curious.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:54 PM
Platinum Member

To date and the most lethal that I have used with great effect and enjoyment has been a 25-06 loaded with 120grn game kings. Nothing got away from me that I connected with. 5 shots and 4 deer. The miss took the jaw off trying to make an off hand head shot. Didn't want it to die slowly so, I finished it off after shooting its buddy and realized I didn't miss the first one.

My 338WM in a number 1b ruger was quite fun to use in the woods to. 3 shots and 3 deer.

These were all in seperate seasons as not to sound like I am incriminating myself. This was over a the course of about 15yrs. All shots were 50yrds or less.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 12-06-2009, 12:05 AM
Silver Member

I will probably use the 6.8 here for shots under 400 yards. I can ring the 500 yard gong with it but it loses alot past 400 yards. Truth be told I really like 223/556 for medium game but its not legal here.

Nosler makes a 110gr AccuBond that I will try to work with this summer to be ready for next fall's antelope and mule deer hunting.....I would feel comfortable with it on elk also at closer ranges.

I do have a 25-06, a 243 Super Rock Chucker, and a 300 WSM also to use for hunting big game.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:21 AM
Bronze Member

I'm also a fan of the .45-70 as a woods gun. I've got a marlin 1885 cowboy rifle, with the long octagon barrel. This rifle absolutely stomps deer, especially with the lever revolution ammo. I really like hunting big crop fields with my 7STW and 300RUM, but .45-70 always goes to the woods with me. I named it "Honey Bun" (lol). She gunned down 4 deer on her first hunt, 3 at 15 to 30 yards, and one at 165. I'm using a 3-9 bushnell firefly scope on it, I like the heavier reticle in the woods.