Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Deer Hunting

You're favorite "woods gun"? mine proved true today

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2009, 10:12 PM
Silver Member

You're favorite "woods gun"? mine proved true today

I have really enjoyed learning about long range shooting, load development and many other things here. Two days ago I was doing some practice shooting at 500 yards, today I killed a buck at 20 in deep woods. It got me to thinking what you all use and if you hunt in an area where a short range "woods" or brush gun is the ticket.

After the events of the day, I decided to keep my 45-70 for the rest of my hunting life. I've had it for about 10 years, and it's been on the shelf unused for about 5. I shot 3 or 4 deer with it when it was newer, but lost interest in the old big bore. It's a marlin 1895 and this year sports a cabale's alaskan guide fixed power 6x scope. Sighting it in resulted in a 1.5" group with two touching each other. I has been a good shooter for a lever from the begining.

As far as terminal performance, it's deffinantly terminal, a one way ticket to the ground with no delays, connecting flights or layovers. The buck today dropped on the spot, as would happen with most rounds at 20 yards. For whatever reason, I feel quite confident with this rifle out to it's effective range, and it's not let me down. It's become one of those "old reliable" things you have and hope you will always have.

I had not been in my stand 1 or 2 minutes when two shots rang out, seemingly very close. I knew the closest stand was about 100yds, and thought the guy in there was wanting a doe. A few seconds later, a coyote tore though my line of sight like his tail was on fire. I thought maybe the other guy took a shot at him. Seconds later a buck was heard tearing through the brush and comming into my vision in my direction. I saw multiple points, maybe not a trophy, but decided to shoot if a good shot was possible. He was also running as if on fire not looking like he would stop till Christmas. As I had my gun ready, he rounded a corner behind me and after passing a couple of large trees, stopped. Having the gun raised and pointed in his general direction, I had only to look though the scope to find the crosshairs right dead center of his chest as he faced me. That was his last mistake.

The other hunter came by in a few minutes asking "see a big buck come by? I think I hit him good". I replied that I had, and that he was laying near by. Inspection of the deer revealed a graze mark from a bullet on the top of the back just enough to break the skin, and an equaly leathal hit on the back leg going between the muscle and the tendon just right for a meat hook.

Surprisingly it did not bleed, not hitting the muscle or the tendon. The other hunter was pretty dissapointed, thinking he had a good hit and going on about not being able to fill his buck tag. I gave him the deer as party hunting is legal here, and he was more than happy to take it. It was no trophy, a small eight pointer, and I don't need more meat. All in all, it was a fun day with a little adventure and the joy of being in God's creation.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:48 PM
Platinum Member

Re: You're favorite "woods gun"? mine proved true today

goose,
That is a cool story, so you killed the deer the other hunter shot previously and only injured him, and then you gave it to him, which he appreciated. He probably also appreciated you killed the buck also, it would have been a injured animal if you werent there.
Enjoyed reading. Thanks.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:32 AM
Gold Member

Nice work. Agree, those big bore Marlins are mighty fine guns...
Old 11-16-2009, 09:09 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose View Post
It got me to thinking what you all use and if you hunt in an area where a short range "woods" or brush gun is the ticket.
Goose, I used to hunt many years ago in upstate NY where it can get kinda thick at times and used a Remington 308 with a 18.5 inch barrel (anything less than 18 back then in NY was considered a pistol and would be illegal to own w/o a permit...which just about nobody could get) barrel had get this a ventilation rib on top and weighed 5.5 pounds but, great in close and with the 180gr could bust through some brush.

Nice story, thanks for sharing and great sportmanship on your part. Lucky for the deer as it didn't suffer a slow death probably would have from infectious wounds.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:14 AM
Platinum Member

You're favorite "woods gun"?

Hard to beat the 1300 winchester shootin Sabots, lots of knockdown power and very fast handleing. Coarse it helps when you grow up together
Old 11-29-2009, 04:44 PM
Silver Member

I would have to say my all time favorites would be two "brush" rifles. They would be the 444 marlin and the 35 Remington. Both lever action with plenty of knock down power. I got the 35 Rem as a Christmas gift when I was 16 years old and was given the 444 from my Dad when I was 28, I'm pushing 50 and took a lot of nice bucks over the years. I really learn how to hunt Whitetail with them both. Dad never wanted to ever part with his Marlin but knew how much I really loved that rifle. He would always rant & rave about it and had convince me to use it on a hunting trip years back and thats when I knew what he was talking about. I would have to say for a lever action rifle it was dead accurate out to 100 yards but I never took anything with it out pass 50 yards. It would shoot through the thickest of brush with out fail and never did I need a second shot to finish the job, same with that old 35 Remington. If the terrain I was planning on hunting warranted the need for something short and light to carry I would take them both and have one of them as a back up. Needless to say I never needed that back up!

NRA life Member

US Army 79 - 85, 368th Combat Battalion, Sarget Spec-5, Combat Engineer

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Old 11-29-2009, 05:49 PM
Silver Member

Well you hit a favorite subject. I've always loved the big woods of Maine. My Browning BAR.308 took a lot of whitetails.Still hunting ,the semi-auto gave quick 2nd&3rd shots on running deer. Always kept a Marlin .444 as a spare rifle. Good times,hunting&eats! Dskiper