Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Deer Hunting

Wyoming buck headed for the Bronx!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2010, 11:25 AM
Silver Member

Wyoming buck headed for the Bronx!

Well as anyone who hunted western Wyoming the last few weeks already knows, the temperature was unseasonably high (80 degrees plus). Coupled with the moon phase this made for some tough conditions as the deer were bedding after only the first half hour of the day and coming out to feed just after the sun slid behind the mountains. Lack of snow had them way up at the tops as well. Some good bucks were still killed at camp. I took my buck on the third day of a five day hunt. I must admit with two thirds of the day gone on day three and having seen 25 or so young bucks but no real shooters I slipped into "better lower my expectations mode" or go home empty handed since I do not currently have a muley on my wall! Fortunately as we were about to bail off a mountain for another vantage point for the evening hunt my guide asked me to still hunt down the trail some as a good 4 pointer had been seen down off the left side of the trail on two occasions. Low and behold after only 7 or 8 minutes of pussy footing and glassing down the trail I spotted him to my left. I could only see from his chest up straight but he stood still long enough for me to see his four points per side with nice forks so I let a 140 gr Berger VLD rip and he dropped in his tracks. I'm happy to have brought home a mature muley that my family can enjoy for years to come. In the meantime I'll put my trophy face back on, hope for good weather and plan for the next excursion.

Old 10-09-2010, 12:06 PM
Gold Member

Re: Wyoming buck headed for the Bronx!

Very nice looking buck! What's the rifle specs? How far was the shot?

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, tears in my eyes: If you f*ck with me, I'll kill you all." Marine General Mattis

Custom built 7mm SAUM
Old 10-09-2010, 12:18 PM
Silver Member

The shot was offhand at just over 100 yds. Caliber is 6.5x284 out of a Cooper Phoenix with 59gr Retumbo pushing the 140 Berger. Greybull Precision scope. Was busting rocks at camp at 565yds but I won't look a gift horse in the mouth!!!
Old 10-09-2010, 12:25 PM
Silver Member

I'd be more than happy to take a shot at a buck like that.

Congratulations...
Old 10-09-2010, 12:57 PM
Silver Member

Thanks TD10,

I watched a more than one guy pass on a great buck only to go home empty handed. I guess it's not such a bad thing if you have already taken a muley or two. But now I'm on the map!
Old 10-09-2010, 01:04 PM
Platinum Member

Nice buck! Good going!

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 10-09-2010, 01:08 PM
Platinum Member

What a NICE BIG TROPHY!! Good for you and congratulations!