Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Deer Hunting

Whitetail Advise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2012, 06:26 AM

Whitetail Advise

I could use some advise, my sister and I will be deer hunting this year in SE Wisconsin. This will be our first year.

Where we hunt is public land Kettle Moraine Southern Unit, our shots will be limited to about 100 yards or so except maybe along the power line route but we aren't allowed to shoot using those lanes. I have 2 rifles at this time one being the Vanguard series 2 in 257 mag, the other a Remington 770 bolt gun in 300 win. mag. that gives me .78 Inch groups on the bench. Freehand I can only get a best so far, only 80 rounds down range so far, of 1.1 inch.

My sister will be shooting my Vanguard since she love the thing so much, I will be shooting my 300. My main question is this:

I'm sighted in with the 300 with 180 grain Barnes TTSX, under say 50 yards or so I have read about bullet blow up. Am I going to have issues with short range on the 300 with this round? Should I go heavier say 200 grain?
Old 05-21-2012, 06:57 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Whitetail Advise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syriis View Post
I could use some advise, my sister and I will be deer hunting this year in SE Wisconsin. This will be our first year.

Where we hunt is public land Kettle Moraine Southern Unit, our shots will be limited to about 100 yards or so except maybe along the power line route but we aren't allowed to shoot using those lanes. I have 2 rifles at this time one being the Vanguard series 2 in 257 mag, the other a Remington 770 bolt gun in 300 win. mag. that gives me .78 Inch groups on the bench. Freehand I can only get a best so far, only 80 rounds down range so far, of 1.1 inch.

My sister will be shooting my Vanguard since she love the thing so much, I will be shooting my 300. My main question is this:

I'm sighted in with the 300 with 180 grain Barnes TTSX, under say 50 yards or so I have read about bullet blow up. Am I going to have issues with short range on the 300 with this round? Should I go heavier say 200 grain?
Shoot for the lungs and you will be fine.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:28 AM
Platinum Member

The barnes will not blow up at any range. Break both front shoulders that whould anchor it instantly. I shoot Barnes bullets in 4 of my rifles and they are very good.

Anything less than overkill is underachievement!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 05-21-2012, 10:31 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Bullet blow-up does exist, but not with the Barnes. Usually in the instance of inefficient penetration, you are looking at a "traditional" lead cored bullet of insufficient weight traveling at excess velocity.

Fear not just like Mike said, the Barnes aren't going to blow up, no need to aim for the lungs. Aim for the point of the shoulder, you will break both shoulders & zero tracking. Whitetail is no match for the TTSX, enjoy your hunt.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:21 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw6.0 View Post
Bullet blow-up does exist, but not with the Barnes. Usually in the instance of inefficient penetration, you are looking at a "traditional" lead cored bullet of insufficient weight traveling at excess velocity.

Fear not just like Mike said, the Barnes aren't going to blow up, no need to aim for the lungs. Aim for the point of the shoulder, you will break both shoulders & zero tracking. Whitetail is no match for the TTSX, enjoy your hunt.
I shot a barnes 20 years ago that was way to hard! Wouldn't expand at 25 yards on front shoulders. So I really don't know the bullet they have now.

I do know, that telling a young hunter to aim for the shoulders, could end up ugly.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:14 AM
Platinum Member

Young or old hunter does not matter. If you can shoot place the bullet on a spot in the center of the front shoulder. If you can't shoot well enough to do that then DO NOT GO HUNTING UNTIL YOU CAN. Just pick a spot on the center of that front shoulder and shoot that spot. Forget about shooting a general place like shoulder of lungs. SHOOT A SPOT, tuft of hair crease in hide etc.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:57 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

There are several things that you can do for limited/close shots with the 300wm.

One is to simply load down to lower velocities(Your not looking for trajectory at 100 yards anyway)
You may substitute heavy bullets for the 180s but recoil will increase unless you load down.

A word of caution: if you use the ttsx they sometimes dont expand at lower velocities, so I would use something like the Accubond or Ballistic that will perform well at the lower end of velocities.

For close range I have also had great results with big/heavy Round nose bullets.

Remington also makes there 300 WM ammo in a managed recoil for about $30.00 a box if
you wanted to try this concept.

J E CUSTOM