Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Deer Hunting

Where would you go?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2009, 08:08 PM

Where would you go?

Looking for a little input. I'm wanting to plan a hunt for this next hunting season, business has been good and I've saved a little. My passion is BIG whitetails, I'd like to know where would you go and when? I've never been on a pay hunt, and i'm not interested in the least in a canned hunt"high fence".I was wanting to hear of your experiences. thanks steve
"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence ... From the hour the Pilgrims landed, to the present day, events, occurrences, and tendencies prove that to insure peace, security and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable . . . The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that is good" (George Washington)
Old 02-03-2009, 10:37 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Where would you go?

generally speaking, the best deer are in the flood zones of the major rivers. Mississippi and Ohio are 2 rivers that overflow often. these floods are what keeps the soils more nutritious which grows bigger horns. the farm country along the big rivers in the midwest is where more B & C bucks come from than anywhere else. central Canada is also know for big deer. i've hunted Sasketewan quite a bit, even have a world record whitetail to show for it. but in terms of best chances to kill a BIG whitetail, i think the midwest( Illinois, Iowa, western Kentucky, Ohio, Nebraska, Kansas) holds your best chance for a BIGUN!
Old 02-05-2009, 12:18 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Alberta or Saskatchewan Canada.

If the USA is the stopping point, Kansas or IL.

Also it is MHO that the NW USA is a sleeper for huge whitetails. WA, ID, MT. It is hard to beat a western style hunt of any kind. Add monster bucks to the mix and you have an amazing adventure.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:37 PM
Platinum Member

Little research shows the midwest and upper midwest has the most BC deer lately.

Kansas has non resident tags now, Iowa is really coming on, Nebraska, MO, Illinois, Wisconson has many many record deer etc.

Those hunts will cost you about 50% of what a Canadian hunt will also.

Key is the farm country areas with crops and genetics to provide potential and food. As Dave said, all along the major river plains area would be the geographic considerations I would target.

I go to MO every year and they instituted a 4 pt on one side 4 years ago for the top 17 counties and went statewide this year. This has made a real difference. You want to be north of the MO river for the big farm deer, not in the Ozarks areas.

BH
Old 02-06-2009, 11:39 AM
Silver Member

saskatchewan is where i am saving to go. Check out jim shockeys web site some huge deer taken up there.