Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Deer Hunting

when do mule deer go into the rut?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2011, 04:44 AM
Platinum Member

Re: when do mule deer go into the rut?

I think "Flehmen response" is the word for that lip curl, eyes rolled, nose in the air posture if you're a biology type. The old timer that got me started hunting said it was the buck trying to convince his buddies it wasn't any good. I'll likely remember the latter longer than the former
Old 11-04-2011, 01:20 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARPERC View Post
I think "Flehmen response" is the word for that lip curl, eyes rolled, nose in the air posture if you're a biology type. The old timer that got me started hunting said it was the buck trying to convince his buddies it wasn't any good. I'll likely remember the latter longer than the former
HA HA HAAA, LMAO.........That's good. It does kinda resemble what we do if we smell something bad huh? Good Laugh to start the day off right!

Old 11-04-2011, 01:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBruce View Post
Yes, here where I am they are already in what some call the "pre rut" maybe. The big and mature bucks have come out of hiberation so to speak, and are following the does wherever they go.......even right up to the houses! I haven't actually seen any real true breeding yet, but I've seen the nose to tail activity and the nose in the air while rolling the head back and forth with the ears all laid back...........it's got a name, but I forgot it

Past years I've seen the actual breeding around Thanksgiving a few times, and the bucks still seem to hang with the does into December.

Interesting side note, some say that once a buck gets past their prime, they no longer breed.? Also heard tell that they actually grow their biggest antlers once they quit chasin tail. Supposedly, they waist way less energy once at that point in their lives, and they aren't caught in the trap of chasing and grow bigger racks because of that.?
Once peter get smaller, belly grow bigger...........??
Seems logical though. Hell even us horny old men loose interest at some point.......we still look, just don't have the ambition to chase it anymore!!
LOL! All the more time for shooting right!
Old 11-05-2011, 12:59 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot E View Post
LOL! All the more time for shooting right!
Absolutely!! Funny how once we quit chasin that tail, we end up with more money in the bank and more time to shoot and hunt.

Old 11-05-2011, 10:48 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBruce View Post
Absolutely!! Funny how once we quit chasin that tail, we end up with more money in the bank and more time to shoot and hunt.
If you could bottle and patent that idea and sell it to teens you would be a rich man! Course none would probably buy it! They would be convinced they new a better way!
Old 11-09-2011, 10:13 PM
Platinum Member

My son watched 6 bucks and a few does, whitey behind house tonight. 2 spared and a nice 4x4 caught horns in the rear by the dominant buck. This is prime time for muleys where I live and whiteys about a week later prime,
Old 11-16-2011, 09:19 PM
Silver Member

Best buck I killed was November 11th also one of the easiest. All he had on his mind were the 15 or so does with him. mid to 3rd week of November is the Peak but the whole Month is pretty good.
not all states offer Muley hunting during the rut. My home state Utah the season ends in late October unless you have lots of $$$ (Govener tag)or a Lucky sob and draw a special tag.(sportsman tag)