Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Deer Hunting

What is the most you have heard of paid for a hunting lease ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2013, 05:30 PM
Gold Member

What is the most you have heard of paid for a hunting lease ?

In response to a listing in the classifieds here, asking nearly $9000 for a 6 month lease on 300+ acres for hunting, I guess I am somewhat floored about anyone spending that much money to be able to hunt ?

How many people need to be involved and how many deer do you need to take on the property in a year in order to justify that kind of expense ? There are farming activities mentioned (crops) so it is not as if it is a piece of wilderness that you have exclusive access to..

Just curious. I see many listings here in Michigan for between $1500 and $2500 for just deer season (Sept to January) on private land. I pay my way by killing coyotes and providing labor for projects on the farm. I also donate part of my meat to the family who owns the farm, but other than gas I have no cash in it at all.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:27 PM
Bronze Member

Re: What is the most you have heard of paid for a hunting lease ?

when i lived in texas 6 of us paid $800 per person for a year lease on 600 acres that was deer hogs dove coyote everything . i would never dream of paying that much for a lease.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:16 AM
Platinum Member

Where was this 6 month lease on 300 acres for $9000 and did it have an Orvis Lodge with maid service included, LOL! Up untilmy Dad quit hunting about 10 years ago he was part of a year around lease on 2000 acres down in south Texas for $1500 a gun. They had either 6 or 8 people on it with a 1 buck, 1 doe per person limit, all the hogs you could kill, and bird hunting according to the limits and season dates.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:34 AM
Gold Member

I think it really depends on where it is and quality of animals around, prime IL land goes for $100+ a acre. I have leases in OH and WI, both are year round lease's There not cheap but there not most expensive either, but the hunting is great.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:41 PM
Bronze Member

I have seen $3500 leases in S. Texas.

Alot of times too, what a person is willing to pay is the combination of alot of factors. My boys and I went from a lease in East Texas of 150 acres for $175 a year, to 600 for $1k a year in Central Texas.

Why am I willing to pay more? Several reasons.

1. Deer population. I can see more deer in one day in Central Texas than I will all season in E Tx.
2. Drive time. E Tx lease = 4 hours. Central Tx lease = 30 minutes. This means the money I spent in gas now goes towards my lease. Is it a wash, hell no we just hunted 30 days last deer season alone. But it sure is more fun!
Additonally, my boys are getting older and it is harder and harder to get them to spend a week with me and out of touch with the girlys.

When I was younger I always said I will NEVER pay $X just to hunt. Never say Never.

Nocte Venator
Old 04-15-2013, 04:11 PM
Bronze Member

Zero $$$$ as I do not hunt lease property. All my hunting is done on either private land to which I have permission or public lands. It's illegal to receive monies (i.e. lease land) for hunting purposes where I live unless you are a bonded, insured and registered guide.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:42 PM
Platinum Member

I know a guy who pays 10k a year but I know there's a ranch further north that I'm sure is 20-30 that's leased by an outfitter