Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Deer Hunting

Up and coming Colorado mulie hunt (unit 62). Need some advice.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2008, 07:43 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
Re: Up and coming Colorado mulie hunt (unit 62). Need some advice.

Thank you SlyMule.

Have you been to the Escalante creek canyon recently?
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:26 PM
Silver Member

Meichele, not since last year. I've got a buddy thats done some early scouting for desert sheep and he says that there's alot of deer and elk down low already, just up from the Gunnison river. Also talked to a couple of hunters that were camped off of Divide Road that said they were thinking of moving their camp - said most of the elk were down low already in the private stuff. Doesn't take much pressure these days to send the game into private land where they're safe. If you want to hunt low in that area the best advice I could give you would be to find the biggest landowner that doesn't allow any hunting in that area, then hunt the border of his property catching game heading into his "safe" property. Believe me, the game knows where the safe areas are and if you hunt the borders you can catch them coming and going. I've done this for years, always has worked well for me.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:02 PM
Platinum Member

That is good advice. thank you.

What was Escalante creek like last year?
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:10 PM
Silver Member

Actually I didn't pay much attention to it. If I remember it was late Spring last time I was up on 6.5 rd. It's not much of a creek to cross if thats what you're asking.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:15 AM
Platinum Member

No just looking for info on it from a hunting standpoint. From viewing the map, it caught my interest.
Old 09-24-2008, 02:41 PM
Silver Member

Meichele,

Since I don't normally hunt that area I'm not real familiar with alot of the creeks. Escalante creek is one of the largest creeks in the area and I would say it probably runs year long. What you'll find up in that area is that alot of the creeks only run during spring runoff and by the time you get up there to hunt, they'll be just a dry creekbed. Its not like back East where a river is deep and wide, and creeks run year long. Take the Colorado river for instance, its not hard to find a place to cross. I've crossed it many times coonhunting with crotch high waders and I can always find a place to cross without getting wet. What we call a river out here would be like a good sized creek back East. Most creeks that run year long out here you can either jump across or walk across on the tops of rocks. Alot of them labeled on topo maps only run during the spring runoff and dry up as it gets into summer. You may find a pocket here or there thats above ground that has water but you're just as likely to be kicking up sand as you walk across whats labeled as a creek.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:25 PM
Silver Member

I have hunted that area a good bit. Lots of good area such as Spring Creek Trail, Prior Flat, Bever Dam, Quakey benches (clear cut in 2007), Mores Piont, and Sawdust Pile. You must have had some points to get that draw! In any case where to hunt is going to depend upon where the mule deer are, and that will depend upon the weather.

You are hunting late season and my bet is that the mule will be in the lower country in the Oak brush. That is not to say that you will not see an occasional mule deer a little higher up, but I rarely see them when I hunt elk in the 3rd rifle season. If weather is "normal", it will be cold up top and the bulk of the mule deer will be down.

From up on Divide Road heading down there are several nice views of Mount Sniffels.

I will not be able to go this year, but wish you the best of luck!!