Re: Unit 34 New Mexico Mule Deer Hunting
Cowboy up - Sorry but I don't have much good news for you about unit 34. I live in El Paso and spend a lot of time up in Cloudcroft/unit 34 have hunted there quite a bit in the past (mainly for elk but several times for deer too)
1) Get ready for a LOT of hunters. There are a LOT of tags for unit 34. But after the weekend, a lot of them will go home.
2) ATV's are allowed but ONLY on roads. You cannot take a ATV off any road so they don't do you a lot of good.
3) Trophy quality is poor. Most people shoot the 1st legal buck they see so the bucks don't get a chance to grow up but the Game Wardens have told me that the area does not have the genetics to grow trophy deer A 140 class deer is a monster for up there. The deer are the desert sub speicies so they just don't get very big.
4) You will see LOTS of does, it is amazing the number of deer in the unit, mainly does. I was coyote hunting up there in February and we must have seen 100 does a day.
5) If I were you, I would try the area around Pinon. From the time that I have spent up there, that is where we have seen the largest number of bucks.
Sorry to be the bearer of mainly bad news. Good news is, it's a beautiful area and a nice time of the year to be running the mountains!