Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Deer Hunting

Are TV Bucks Pen Raised?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2011, 12:48 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Are TV Bucks Pen Raised?

Sorry, but you asked! Fighting when there is a high buck/doe ratio also results in what you are talking about, but I'll guarantee you are way off base if you think those deer on TV got those rub marks in a crate or stall. Most of the TV shows are free ranging animals on private property that is managed properly and hunted very little. That, in turn, allows the bucks to grow to maturity and develop big bodies and antlers.
Old 12-02-2011, 01:36 PM
Gold Member

" Most of the TV shows are free ranging animals on private property that is managed properly and hunted very little."

A lot of the shows on the outdoor channels are filmed on pay to shoot areas. Most of the deer you see killed are "management bucks" that the owners let the camera crews kill for the advertisement. If they want to kill a real trophy they have to pay just like everybody else. If you see an advertisement for the ranch they're hunting, usually with a contact phone number, you can bet prior arrangements have been made.

I've got a brother that works for a major paper company as a salesman. A couple of time a year he takes his good customers to properly managed private property where they get all expense paid hunts. There's usually two types of hunts: Hight Fence Hunts and Low Fence Hunts. The more the customer spends on paper products, the higher the fence. The free range that the deer are on is usually a 5-50 acre wooded pasture where the client is allowed to "hunt" his trophy. These hunting areas are in Alabama, Texas and Mexico.

Now, don't get me wrong, there's not necessarily anything wrong with paid shooting businesses, if that's what you want to do. If you can afford it, go for it. If that's the only kind of hunting you're physically able to do, take advantage of it. But it's not for me. I'd rather shoot a 125 point buck on one of my local hunting spots than to kill a 200 point buck on a high fence area. But that's just me.

There's a reason you can't register a buck in the Boone and Crockett or Pope and Young registry if it's shot inside a fence.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:27 PM
Platinum Member

A 5-50 acre pasture is not a free range situation if it is high-fenced. I would disagree with you in that most of the TV shows are on low fenced places that are properly managed and lightly hunted whether the guy shoots a "management" deer or what we would consider a bigger trophy buck. Some of the places do have high-fenced "shoots" as they are not hunts unless they contain as much acreage as the animal needs to have the same chance at survival as if there was no fence there! The Broadmouth Ranches that Rulon Jones operates in Idaho and Utah are good examples. He has lower priced hunts for free ranging animals and ridiculously high priced hunts for elk in high fenced areas. I like Wyoming where I hunt every year because they don't allow any high fence operations.

Last edited by Topgun 30-06; 12-02-2011 at 08:00 PM.
Old 12-03-2011, 01:02 AM
Silver Member

We see these almost every year here in northern MN & WI....Sometimes down to bare skin sometimes not....Bigger the antlers the farther back you see them....I've watched them "scratch" like crazy on several occasions....We have no high fences (or low fences for that matter) in our hunting areas but we have had lots of ticks for many years now....The deer with the rubbed patches usually have a fair number of ticks on them also....It is only a guess but in my opinion the rubbed areas itch for some reason or another and the bucks are using their built in "back scratchers"....Another possibility is that they are scratching for a rut related reason but the patches are definitely self inflicted....We also see plenty of big old bucks with "notched ears" but that definitely is from fighting

Here is a pick of my WI buck from this year and my 11 year old grandson's doe...BTW I have never noticed the rubbed spots on a doe.....This buck has the rubbed spot that I think we are talking about.....He also had battle scars on his ears but they don't show in this pic.....

Randy
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Are TV Bucks Pen Raised?-scratch_my_back.jpg  
Old 12-03-2011, 03:32 PM
Platinum Member

Great buck Randy and that may be another of several reasons for those rubbed spots that I hadn't thought of. PS: Those were quite some animals that SIL of yours shot a couple weeks ago in Wyoming. Mine was decent, but sure not of the caliber of the buck he shot. We did get a real nice 6x7 bull the second day of gun season too (see attached). Peace Bro!
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Are TV Bucks Pen Raised?-2011-trip-078.jpg