Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Deer Hunting

Are TV Bucks Pen Raised?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2011, 12:09 PM
Gold Member

Are TV Bucks Pen Raised?

Okay, I've had several days of television time lately due today surgery and have been watching a lot of hunting shows on aThe Outdoor Channel and the Sportsman Channel. I've also been noticing it for the last couple of years. I'm amazed at the number of big bucks they show and kill that have bare spots rubbed off of their backs at or just behind their shoulders. Spots as big as your hands rubbed to bare skin. Now I've killed hundreds of deer including quite a few big bucks. Ive never seen a deer in the wild that has that rubbed spot. My only thought is that they've rubbed it in some kind of crate or stall. I know that a lot of these shows are filmed in "high fence" areas which is about like shooting cows in the barn lot. Hopefully I'm wrong but I can't figure out another reason for it.
Old 11-07-2011, 03:39 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Are TV Bucks Pen Raised?

I agree with you, have seen the bald spots on the back of those deers and it does looks impressive and weird. I never thought those bald areas could be because of how they were raised. Interesting indeed. I have noticed in some of those bucks holes in the ears, like they had an ear tag or something. Would be nice to read what others think about it.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:44 AM
Silver Member

I knew a man in Western North Carolina who raised BIG BUCKS in a fence..."Sportsmen" from up North would come down in the summer, look his Bucks over. Pick out the "one" that they wanted to "hunt". They then paid "big" money for this buck. It then got shipped to a high fence hunting club up North. The "sportsmen" then got to go "hunt" their buck...They were only allowed to shoot their "buck" not another one, since someone else paid for it!!!!! And you know they BRAGGED about killing their MONSTER BUCK!!!!!!!
Old 11-21-2011, 09:04 AM
Silver Member

I am no expert but I always thought it was from fighting. One of my bucks this year had a lot of hair missing on his back. It was not right down to the hide. My friend shot a buck a few years ago that had a big bald spot on his back. I live and hunt in Manitoba; no high fences here. Only seems to happen when the buck to doe ratio is good. This year again I was getting about equal pictures of does and bucks, maybe even more bucks than does.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrodmar10 View Post
Okay, I've had several days of television time lately due today surgery and have been watching a lot of hunting shows on aThe Outdoor Channel and the Sportsman Channel. I've also been noticing it for the last couple of years. I'm amazed at the number of big bucks they show and kill that have bare spots rubbed off of their backs at or just behind their shoulders. Spots as big as your hands rubbed to bare skin. Now I've killed hundreds of deer including quite a few big bucks. Ive never seen a deer in the wild that has that rubbed spot. My only thought is that they've rubbed it in some kind of crate or stall. I know that a lot of these shows are filmed in "high fence" areas which is about like shooting cows in the barn lot. Hopefully I'm wrong but I can't figure out another reason for it.
I killed a nice buck in central Mn with bare spot on back no high fence on the land i hunt.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:03 PM
Platinum Member

Most of those rub marks you are talking about are from when the deer goes under a barb wire fence. They will jump a fence with no problem, but a lot of time they will go low and under the lowest strand and when they stand back up on their front legs a lot of times their back is still under the wire and it gets scraped as they go on through and stand back up. The more fences in an area that the buck inhabits the better chance that you will see those rubs on his back.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:10 AM
Gold Member

Barb wire fence? Really? I don't know.
We've got a lot of barbed wire fences here in Tennessee.

In forty something years of deer hunting I've seen literally thousands of deer (and killed hundreds) and have never seen a buck with a bald spot on his back. I take that back. I saw one a good eight point that had a bald spot just below the top of his back, but it had a bullet hole in the center that looked to be about a week old. He was still walking around but not very well. I put him out of his misery.

But the percentage of bucks with bald areas on the hunting shows are very high. High enough that everybody has noticed. Just wondering.