Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Deer Hunting

Tracking Wounded Deer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2011, 07:51 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Tracking Wounded Deer

Good story.
Only tracking dog I ever had was a good rabbit beagle. I enjoyed a number of years with retreivers in the dove fields and duck blinds.
Nothing like hunting with a dog.

Just this year, NC legislators passed new laws allowing tracking wounded deer with a dog. So this can be a valuable tool to some hunters this Fall for the first time.
Just makes good sense.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:21 PM
Silver Member

Really enjoyed the read. Sorry for your loss. Deer dogs are certainly a contraversial subject in my neck of the woods. While I personally am against using dogs for the chase ( its not the dogs that I mind but the behavior of the hunters using them ) I am in favor of using them for recovering wounded deer.
Thanks for sharing your insites.

Life is short, Hunt hard while you can.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:37 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMan View Post
Really enjoyed the read. Sorry for your loss. Deer dogs are certainly a contraversial subject in my neck of the woods. While I personally am against using dogs for the chase ( its not the dogs that I mind but the behavior of the hunters using them ) I am in favor of using them for recovering wounded deer.
Thanks for sharing your insites.
Yes it is controversial in the Low Country of South Carolina too...I've never been on a dog drive/hunt...In my part of the State it is only legal to track wounded deer with dog on a leash...

Thanks guys for the positive responses. I have many stories of tracking wounded deer that can share,,,some funny, some serious, but all informative in white-tail deer behavior, from my experiences.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:20 PM
Silver Member

Good tracking dogs are hard to beat. I had a beagle in the 90s named Spot and he was the best I've ever been around. It's amazing how they can smell them hours after the kill. It doesn't matter if there were many deer in the area and no blood in sight, a good dog will follow the wounded animal.

After Spot died, we bought another beagle and named him Tracker. He was almost as good as Spot and found many deer before he passed. Tracker was sadly killed by wild dogs about 10yrs ago and I haven't bought another tracking dog since.

My wife and I had a 1/2 beagle 1/2 BH as well. She passed about a month back from failing kidneys. I never took her hunting, but she was a darn good lap dog.

I suppose my Redbone, Lucille, would track a deer. Bred for coon hunting and have an awesome nose. I may try her out this season if the need arises. Many dogs will blood trail naturally. I trained the beagles very similar to your approach, but I've been around various breeds that would track them w/o any training as well.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:35 PM

Wonderful animals. They help us get the game, and they love the parts we don't.