top deer caliber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2011, 10:47 AM

Re: top deer caliber

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck slayer View Post
7mm-08
I'd take the 308Win over the 7mm-08.

I'm going to ask you two questions... how realistic is the 50-500yd range requirement? Here is why I ask, becuase if 95% of your shots will be within 250yds, and 5% past that... then that is a HUGE factor.

Are you looking for a caliber that will be effective at? Or are you serious about hunting deer out to 500yds and this will be a normal thing?

And...

Do you handload?

Here is criteria I'd look at if I was picking a hunting caliber.

- Can stop the game I'm hunting
- Has some added safety factor to it(I don't like the response it will do good, just avoid the shoulder bone)
- Can be easy/economic to reload
- Is capable of flying flat for the distance needed

If its within 250yds and you handload.... then IMHO, just about all calibers that are in the 243/25/6mm etc. range will do fine.

All of them have enough punch to knock down a whitetail... without much of a change of where you aim. Even if you don't reload, factory ammo for all those calibers is more than good enough.

If you are talking about past 250yds... You need to take into consideration that a lot of calibers begin to drop significantly... A lot of the short action calibers(like the 308) start to tank fast past 300 yds. While not a problem on paper at the range, it is in the field where you only get one shot... you need to be spot on with your range estimates... I know from experience at the range, if you estimate the range to be 375yds and it really is 400yds your drop will be off by around 4-5"(200yd zero).... that is the difference between a hit or miss on a whitetail... The solution to this is get yourself something that will throw a good bullet quickly... this will allow you to require less adjustment/give you more forgiveness at longer distances with your elevation.

Now, you can take something like a 308win and shoot out to 500 yds(I shoot targets at 600 all the time with it) it will do the job, and have enough energy to kill a deer, but personally... in my opinion, I'd rather take any risk/guessing/etc. out of the picture when it comes to hunting... you screw up you will either miss, have a hell of a day tracking something, or worse cripple an animal.

Since you are talking about only whitetails(which aren't armor plated like people think) ... and plan to shoot "far"... I'd look into the 7mm rem. mag. I gives you the ability to throw a good bullet, far and fast.... If you plan to have the rifle for more than just whitetails, a 300 win mag will have the advantage of better ballistics with heavier bullets.

I was between a 7mm and a 300 win mag for hunting... I wanted one rifle for everything(I plan to go out west some day for something bigger) so I went with 300 (and becasue I already reload it) I think it the best "all around" caliber... it can be loaded down to light 30-06 when needed, doesn't have the goofy radius shoulder of a weatherby cartridge... has the ability to throw light bullet fast like a 7mm, and can be used with heavy bullets when they are needed... plus if you get a rifle equiped with comp it will be very manageable to shoot... I took my 300 out yesterday with 165gr at a little over 3000fps, and the recoil feels softer than my 308 shooting 168grs at over 2800fps, and that rifle is 4lbs heavier.

Just remember...

There is "dead" and there is "there it goes"..... and the challenge of hunting should be finding the game, and setting up the shot.... no whether the bullet will do its job.

Mike.

Last edited by mikeg1005; 10-24-2011 at 10:54 AM.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:46 PM
Platinum Member

6.5x55 Swede will do all you need out to 800yds with a 130-140 grain bullet. With that said, I plan on using a .308 out to 850yds. Sooooo.... its up to you.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 10-26-2011, 02:48 PM
Silver Member

Quote I don't like the30-06 because it is not to accurate
Carlos Hathcock would disagree, as would many , 06 makes great close, range mid range, long range caliber IMO . I hunt a 300wm most of time, but I dont feel undergunned at all hunting with my 06, or 308 for that matter, shot placement, & knowing trajectory of bullet, is more critical than caliber, in most cases, any of the cartriges you mentioned should work fine, just pick the one you like & get to know it,.....well

Last edited by Willoughby; 10-26-2011 at 05:50 PM.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:59 PM
Gold Member

I stand in the group that supports accuracy of the 30-06 and would feel confident with the specified ranges and further.

But confidence does play a role so you should get a caliber you are confident in.

Skill plays the biggest part with any of those listed along with how well the rifle fits you.

I like the 6.5x55 myself out of your list, but that would be a more ideal choice if you roll your own.

The 7mm gives you some wiggle room and lets yoiu extend range if you choose.

I would look at a Tikka or Savage. I own Remington 700's predominantly but I do not know if I will ever purchase a new one again...
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty to throw off such governments. …” Jefferson

We are very close to this point now.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:58 PM

25 wssm ? 25-06?
Old 11-01-2011, 11:15 PM
Gold Member

In the first world war the US MARINES beat the Hell out of the Germans with the .3006 at shots from 700yards to out to 1000 yards. at a place called Bella Wood.
The .3006 is not accurate? if you wish to sell it, get with me..I can make an .06 shoot better than you will ever.
Old 11-04-2011, 01:38 PM

I may get a little "flack" from this, but I am not a huge fan of the 7mmRM..too me it really doesn't offer Magnum characteristics. It really doesn't do anything that a .280 won't do. I am a bigger proponent of the .30cal..
I just never really found anything really that awesome about the 7mmRM. Anything it can do, I can do with a .270, .280, 30-06. Furthermore, the ammo is less expensive.
About that 500-yds, that'll be up to you. There are none of the rounds mentioned in your post that hold a MPBR close to that. Use the correct rifle for the application, there is not a 1-gun does all, real well. It's kind of like those Weedeaters with all the attachments, it'll do some leaf blowing and hedge trimming, but there are better tools to do the job with.

My choice for your parameters would be .300RUM or .30-378 Weatherby. And then there are the infinite bullet choices. I'd probably go with a 150 or 165 Swift Scirroco or maybe a 165-gr. Accubond.