Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Deer Hunting

Telling on myself... 2 lost deer.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2011, 10:01 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Telling on myself... 2 lost deer.

I use Nosler balistic tip bullets for 95% of my hunting. To date I have had no issues with poor bullet performance as you seem to be having. The animals shot were coyote, deer, caribou and moose. Is the Nosler balistic tip to light for moose;results were the same vaporized heart and lungs. I'm currently working up a recipe for Berger bullets. I have also used Hornady bullets of various weights and calibre's it's just that my rifles accuracy wasn't there. All my rifles seems to perform best when fed a diet of various Nosler and Sierra bullets.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:25 PM
Bronze Member

I have been shooting ballistic tip bullets for a few years, namely the Hornady SST's. Killed 5-6 deer with them. All deer buckled at the shot, a couple dropped and got back up and all went about 20-30 yards from the spot I shot them at. Not ONE blood trail was found by any of these deer. Last year I took a shot at the biggest buck I have ever seen and the same thing happened as the ones above, except this deer was never found!!!!!

I have done two things different this season, I switched to the Barnes TSX and quit shooting behind the shoulder, I've punched right through the front shoulder and the 4 animals that I have killed this year have dropped on the spot and not moved one inch. The biggest this year was a 178lb 9 pt and he kicked on the ground for just over 30 seconds, with the busted front shoulders, he wasnt going anywhere. How far do you think that buck would have ran in 30 seconds???

I hate to lose an animal...loom for buzzards in the next few days

Take your kids hunting and fishing...no experience like it!!!!!

Follow us on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/BoneHeadHuntClub

http://www.facebook.com/RunningwithDanny

Like our page and join in the fight to Find the Cure for Cystic Fibrosis
Old 11-26-2011, 10:34 PM
Platinum Member

While we're sharing BT stories, last year my nephew shot a small doe from 335 yards with a 130grain BT out of his 270. I was spotting and watched the deer drop dead. The shot was taken with about 1 minute of light left. I patted my nephew on the back, shook his hand and told him I was proud of him. In that amount of time it was pitch dark. We walked out into the field...NO DEER! we searched for several hours and did not find any blood - nothing! Got up the next morning and continued the search - nothing! Our only explanation was bullet failure. Bullet had to have exploded on impact and just knocked the deer down. Then after a few moments, got up and walked away.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebark View Post
While we're sharing BT stories, last year my nephew shot a small doe from 335 yards with a 130grain BT out of his 270. I was spotting and watched the deer drop dead. The shot was taken with about 1 minute of light left. I patted my nephew on the back, shook his hand and told him I was proud of him. In that amount of time it was pitch dark. We walked out into the field...NO DEER! we searched for several hours and did not find any blood - nothing! Got up the next morning and continued the search - nothing! Our only explanation was bullet failure. Bullet had to have exploded on impact and just knocked the deer down. Then after a few moments, got up and walked away.
EXACTLY! I just wont use them on anything other than coyote or smaller game. I have seen a big bull elk taken with a 180 gr Ballistic tip and it didnt walk more than 20 yards before it fell over dead BUT the bullet never hit any bone. I believe that that bullet MOST times cant handle hitting a solid piece of bone. I just can't put my faith in a bullet that will not make it through a bone and do what I need it to do.

I shot a coyote with a 100 gr Ballistic tip hunting bullet out of a 6.5 Grendel AR and it dropped dead but the bullet didnt exit. I shot it in the front of the chest but a coyote is not even that big and I thought it would have exited somewhere. I have seen accubonds hit the front of the chest in deer and elk and the bullet didnt exit but they were found in the ham or the back area of the animal. That bullet penetrated like 3 feet of a big animal!

I know that the Accubond and the BT are made different but I just cant bring myself to use the BT with the experiences that I have had with them (on big game that is).
Old 11-27-2011, 02:00 AM
Bronze Member

I know we're talkin BT'S but I'm shooting a 25-06 with 120gr.Sierra HP's @ about 3000fps.Shot 2 does at 250yds,broad side high shoulder both took off like I missed.Went to the spot of impact no blood,hair nothing. was a very used trail at that spot so I walked the trail over 100yds. before finding both deer within feet of each other. Both were hit high shoulder & the enterence wound looked just like the exit 25 cal hole.Been using 115gr.nos BT's.So now what should I try.The woods here in GA. are thick it really makes them hard to find mostly hunting powerlines & cutovers. Any ideas??
Old 11-27-2011, 08:44 AM
Bronze Member

I know the feeling. Several years ago we had the same problem with the bt 30 caliber and under. I read somewhere can't recall where that nosler had changed the jacket thickness on the newer ones to withstand hitting bones. As far as an idea for the 25-06 I don't have a clue went through the same problem couldn't find a reliable bullet for it so I sold it. Never had that issue with a 243. Good luck.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:47 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maq Attaq View Post
I have been shooting ballistic tip bullets for a few years, namely the Hornady SST's. Killed 5-6 deer with them
I used to shoot Ballistic Tips out of my 7mag but lost two good bucks after hitting them behind the shoulder. Both times instantly seen the red rose of death. One jumped into a large swiftly moving creek and never came out and the other ended up in the back of another truck. I switched to the larger for caliber 162 SST and haven't had a problem since. I started shooting through both shoulders if possible and have had complete penetration from close in to over 400 yards. I load the 139 SST for a buddy but he would rather have the velocity instead of the penetration of the heavier bullet with longer shank.

To the OP,
Man that sucks! You might get told it's hard to blame the bullet if you can't see the end results. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I'm sure those two deer are dead so the bullet probably did it's job, just not as proficiently as you would like(as in my case). A change in bullet might be in order, if nothing else to restore your confidence.

The people trying to say the 2nd Amendment is outdated are probably the same folks that would say the same thing about the Bible.