Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Deer Hunting

So whats wrong with the .243 on Deer?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2013, 07:40 AM
Silver Member

Re: So whats wrong with the .243 on Deer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Duerr View Post
The .243 with the 105 berger is a great deer cartridge WAY past 250 yards If its only good out to 250 then so is the 270 on Elk............................This whole thing is similar to when we were in High School and there were always the guys that had to have the car with the most Horse Power, Some how you could always justify more horse power..........................Kind of like now, guys just get all excited when it has a belt or when the word Ultra appears.........................

Personally, I think its more about our ego's than anything else.
I didn't mean 250 yards max for all shots but where we may shoot at a heavy shoulder shot with a 300win or 3006 at 250 yards...you may want to avoid those type shots. I'm just saying bigger bullets always give you more opportunities but a well placed 22 will kill a deer so of course a 243 is fine. again...my wife uses a 243...but she won't be shooting shoulder out at those distances...she will be shooting just behind on a broadside shot
Old 10-19-2013, 03:23 PM
Gold Member

I use to hunt with a friend who HATED ALL 6mm's When he found out I was having a .243 AI built he told me how STUPID I was, said that the 6mm's are good for varmints only and they are NO Deer or Antelope cartridge. He said this while I was sitting in his home, and he has the right to his opinions especially in his home. So, I asked him this, " If I hit a Deer right behind the shoulder at 200 yards using a Nosler 100gr Partition, he loves the Partition, it wont kill it..................? His reply, " If your going to argue with me then get out of my house! I then asked him WHY he hated them so much. I was told that once he owned a 6mm shot three times at an antelope and nothing. I was puzzled, I said you missed him right, " No I didn't!! and that's why' I will never own one again.

There you go again, its this ego thing.............................
Old 10-19-2013, 03:35 PM
Gold Member

Two years ago my son shot a Black Bear at 211 . Now he did hit him right behind the shoulder and the damage was scary................You know if all I had was a shoulder shot at a big Mule Deer Buck I would take it ................Im sure that the 105 Berger would put him down.

I killed my one and only Bull Elk with a 300 win mag using a factory 180 Winchester. The bullet hit him behind the shoulder and broke the far side shoulder on the way out. This was a really big bull, scored 320. Now I would have thought that it would have put him right down........NO he just walked up the hill and turned around and looked back at me! Staggered and went down. He was about 275 yards out. It was a great shot the bullet preformed great and after that experience..................................I need more gun, right . NO
What would have happened if he had taken off on a run, he would have gone a bit far ......................would a larger bullet have made a difference..............?? OR maybe if I had a 338 Ultra Mag??

You be the judge.

G
Old 10-27-2013, 09:52 PM
Bronze Member

It's all about shot placement and knowing your limitations and the rifles limitations!! Good to go.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:43 PM
Gold Member

And knowing your limitations. Most Cartridges will kill a lot further than we often give them credit for. Just like having a car with 500 HP when in High School so many guys like having a huge big ultra Mag for a hunting rifle. The old saying "show me a guy with only one rifle and I will show you someone who knows how to use it" A .270 in the hands of someone who knows how to use it and better yet really knows how to hunt, read sign, etc , etc,.................
I got almost blasted off this sight because I asked this queston, sure a lot of guys can shoot out to 1000 yards but in a real hunting situation with wind, just how many animals when hit ran off and you thought, I Missed. When the condtions are perfect sure with tons of practice. But, I will put my $$ on the guy with tons of field experience and someone that has one rifle and knows how to shoot it.
With winter conditions even a 400 yard shot might be pushing the limitations. I will always try and get a close as I can before taking a shot and then I often don't take the shot.....................
I will only have one hunting rifle and will only hunt with that one rifle and it will be a .243 AI 105 berger......................

G
Old 10-28-2013, 06:27 PM
Silver Member

Anybody use 100 grain hornady interlock btsp? I'm gonna load up some with the bergers I have and try them on a few does.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:04 PM

My 243( not ai and 9.25 twist ) data shows 2081 fps and 1010 energy at 575 yards. I use hv100. 105 berger....not suppose to stabilize and not suppose to be able to kill deer with this little whimpy gun. Tell it to the dead deer
It will also make a lot of high dollar guns cry at 1000 yards. Fact