Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Deer Hunting

So whats wrong with the .243 on Deer?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2013, 09:01 AM
Gold Member

Re: So whats wrong with the .243 on Deer?

Well said .........................we tend to want to blame situations on everything that ourselves. Hit a Deer with a 30-06 cant find him and we are looking at getting a 300 Mag............Trouble with a lot of guys is that they will always tell you that they hit him in the right spot but unless you find the game thats all really bull. Like you said if you hit a deer right behind the shoulder through the lungs with a good bullet that deer is not going to go far.................Cant tell you how many guys have said " aHit him twice through the lungs and he ran over the hill and we never found him....................Sure you did.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:16 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Duerr View Post
Well said .........................we tend to want to blame situations on everything that ourselves. Hit a Deer with a 30-06 cant find him and we are looking at getting a 300 Mag............Trouble with a lot of guys is that they will always tell you that they hit him in the right spot but unless you find the game thats all really bull. Like you said if you hit a deer right behind the shoulder through the lungs with a good bullet that deer is not going to go far.................Cant tell you how many guys have said " aHit him twice through the lungs and he ran over the hill and we never found him....................Sure you did.

Well said, have heard the same comments many times. Hit 'em right, they die. End of story.

NRA Life Member
ISRA Member
RMEF Member
Old 08-30-2013, 10:57 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post
+1

If used properly I will do the job. I have killed many deer with a 22/250 but I also passed up many shots because I knew that conditions and shot placement were not good enough fos the light weight bullet.

If I were hunting under perfect conditions and had no issues with retrieving the game after the shot
I would not hesitate to use a 243. But as everyone knows most of the time conditions and shot
placement are not the best and a larger caliber is recommended.

The larger caliber bullets can improve your chances under poor conditions and possibly make the difference if you encounter that once in a lifetime trophy and don't feel like you should make the shot with a small caliber rifle.

In heavy brush,(Poor tracking/recovery) high winds or long ranges the edge goes to larger bullets with more down range energy.

There is little very chance of having to much rifle, but a high risk of having to little when the chips are down.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM
+1 Shot placement,,Bullet construction and load combined with the ethecis of the hunter will determine the outcome of the kill. With that in mind the caliber has little to do with it. I would not suggest that a person use a subsonic 55gr load from a 243 at 500yds on a deer.. This is a extreme case in example. Although some on here think that it would work with the right scope, and ballistic coefficient..I call these armchair bandits...
Old 08-30-2013, 03:27 PM

Up untill this year I carried a 30-06. This year I built a Savage 110 in 6.5x55. I have personal reasons for using those two cartridges. If the situation came up, I would not hesitate to use a 243. I don't have a 243 because I already have too much wrapped up in the rifles I do have. As far as I am concerned the 243 is capable of doing anything I need it to do in North America.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:59 AM
Silver Member

An exit hole made by a 130g Berger Classic hunter from a 270wsm at 230 some yards.

A 243 will not make a hole like this, the closest it will come to it is with a 85g Sierra HPBT or 87g Berger Classic Hunter.

This is why people use a larger caliber for anchoring game. A blood trail is pretty much guaranteed. Deer do not go far with this kind of trauma.

A 243 is a good deer cartridge but a well hit deer may go quite a ways without a blood trail.

Old 09-02-2013, 04:43 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Duerr View Post
Monday morning out at the Range I was doing my final work up for my Deer Hunting load in my .243 AI. I will be shooting the Sierra Pro Hunter 44.2gr of H4350, I will crono them this week. Several guys I was talking to asked me what I was going to be hunting with for Mule Deer this fall in Nevada, when I told them they both said, "Big Mistake the .243 is not a Deer Cartridge we have seen way to many deer lost to the .243". So, thats five guys so far that have said the same thing. Yet I would bet that just as many Deer are lost each year to .270's and 30-06's as to the .243 All the years I have hunted with the .243 I have yet to loose one. Several years I hunted with a guy that used a 22-250 shooting 53 gr Barnes bullets he took his shots carefully and was a great shot and he never lost a Mule Deer...........
Lots of thoughts out there ......Trouble with saying that even though the deer was well hit we never found it ...........is that you cant prove it was well hit.

G
Ive shot alot of red deer with my .243 some of these big stags that are over 120kg/260lbs carcass weight(ive weighed them) out to 300yards and I have never lost a red deer to my .243. I am using 87gn Interbond at the moment and would reccomend them. they have great performers. 90% of the deer ive shot hit the deck straight away the other 10% stagger about then drop within 20-30yards. I think a mule deer is more the size of a fallow deer(please correct me if im wrong) and a .243 is the perfect caliber for a fallow deer. As a guide ive seen hunters wound and nearly loose game with.300mags and .7mm rem mags. Ive had jokes about me carrying a toy gun around. BUT when they have a shot with my gun and their deer drops they change opinion.

the most important factor is being able to pull the trigger and know where the bullet is going to land. I started hunting deer with a .270 and I had wounded deer and I was a piss poor shot. With a .243 I can pull the trigger with confidence and know ile get good results. You can have too smaller gun but in my opnion you can also have too much gun. Learn to shoot and be confindent in your gun and your capabilities and you will be rewarded with meat on the table.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:53 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CogburnR View Post
An exit hole made by a 130g Berger Classic hunter from a 270wsm at 230 some yards.

A 243 will not make a hole like this, the closest it will come to it is with a 85g Sierra HPBT or 87g Berger Classic Hunter.

This is why people use a larger caliber for anchoring game. A blood trail is pretty much guaranteed. Deer do not go far with this kind of trauma.

A 243 is a good deer cartridge but a well hit deer may go quite a ways without a blood trail.

It might not blow holes in ribs like that but it is effective just the same.
Top photo is a red hind taken at 150 yards.
Bottom is lungs/heart of Mature Red Stag weighing in excess of 120kg/260lbs carcass weight taken at 300 yards with one shot while he was walking.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
So whats wrong with the .243 on Deer?-dscf1372.jpg  

So whats wrong with the .243 on Deer?-87gn-interbond-300yards.jpg