Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Deer Hunting

So whats wrong with the .243 on Deer?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2013, 09:06 AM
Platinum Member

Re: So whats wrong with the .243 on Deer?

This thread has gone 14 posts now. Don't you think it's about time to start another one on the same thing like you keep doing to assure yourself that the .243 is big enough to take to Africa on an elephant hunt, LOL!
Old 08-10-2013, 09:48 AM
Gold Member

Actually, I think that for most of us this Is a very interesting topic.............

It touches a part of us that is kind of lost ............Why do you need to shoot that far when you can get a whole lot closer..........

So whats wrong with the 257 Roberts on ELk.................Maybe I will post that next year right before hunting season.

This post seems to be getting a lot of attention still
Old 08-10-2013, 10:18 AM
Bronze Member

I think it's just preconceived notions on whether a gun/caliber is big enough. "When a deer gets away from a guy with a 270 or larger, it is obviously his fault.". If it is a "marginal" caliber, then it's the rifle's fault. The caliber gets blamed for a poorly placed shot. In actuality, it's almost always the shooter's fault. In rare cases, it's the bullet that fails....and that happens in any caliber. If you hit a deer anywhere in the chest with a .243, it will not go far at all.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:40 AM
Gold Member

For those of you who use the 105gr Berger in your 6mm's, what do you think of that bullet's performance on Deer or what ever you use it on. Is there a better bullet? I have only used the 95gr Berger on a Black Bear and it dropped him in his tracks................

There are cartridges and then there are bullets what works for you in the .243 class of Cartridges........

G
Old 08-10-2013, 11:00 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Duerr View Post
I would bet that just as many Deer are lost each year to .270's and 30-06's as to the .243
That's a bet no one can win or prove

Quote:
All the years I have hunted with the .243 I have yet to loose one.
Then that is all you need to let your heart be content. 100% success is hard to argue!

I've been on two memorable hunts where my friend used a 243. In fact, as a gift to him, I sent it to a smith for some upgrades; new stock, bedding job, PacNor barrel, and blueprinting of the action. Hunt one, in short, he shoots a big whitetail on our hunting lease about 50 yards from the next hunting lease. Shoots it perfectly in the lungs. Deer was able to run over 100 yards onto the next lease where 2 other hunters dropped it. They got to keep the deer. It's anyone's guess what any other caliber would have done, along with any other bullet. He was shooting factory Hornady if I recall correctly.

Hunt 2 was a pronghorn doe in WY. He shot her with the same rifle but with handloads I made using btips. Shot her at 220 yards and dropped her with a gut shot but it took a second shot to finish her.

As to my own personal experience with a 270 (my favorite) and a 30.06, I've been fortunate to kill a lot of game in a lot of states. Can't remember any that took more than 1-2 steps at any distance and with any bullet.

243 kills fine, just not in the same manner in my experience which is limited.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:26 AM
Gold Member

I cant say that ever deer I shot went right down. I have had a few that I followed the blood trail in the snow for 60 yards, on one I could not find and was about to give up when I found it in a deep depression about 40 yards from where I shot it.
Every antelope I shot went down within a few yards. Neck shots and they were dead on arrival. Im not one to have five rifles for each game I hunt. I spend most of my time shooting Marmonts, Jackrabbits, and Coyotes. When I do go Deer hunting I like using the same Rifle as I have spent so much time with . There are times when I think back and kind of wish I had a do over and would have had a 250 AI or the 257 AI or the 260 AI or 6.5 Creedmoor.
I was told that the .243 AI is good for about 1500 Rounds which means I have used up 33% of the .243's life....................I will go bigger next time.
Ever Deer that got away, you will never know why, your fault the bullets fault etc.

The one Bull Elk I shot went over 100 yards shot through the Lungs and broke the shoulder on the other side with a 180gr Barnes................and I was using a 300 Win Mag, borrowed of course.

Each and ever shot you make no matter how many are all different
Old 08-10-2013, 11:37 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Each and ever shot you make no matter how many are all different
Yea, but not by much!