Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Deer Hunting

So whats wrong with the .243 on Deer?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2013, 05:38 PM
Silver Member

Re: So whats wrong with the .243 on Deer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackinSD View Post
I guess I should have added that it has almost nothing to do with caliber.
actually they proved it does...simple physics...higher momentum harder to slow it down and change direction. momentu m equals MASS times velocity. the heavier something is and if it is traveling equal speed of something lighter then the more chance it will stay on course. also...when a larger bullet hits a small branch...it will fragment into much larger pieces than a smaller bullet and those pieces will retain a faster straighter trajectory than a lighter bullet so yes...larger bullets are better in the brush but it has to be significantly larger lik 80 grains vs 180 grains
Old 11-21-2013, 06:09 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigeclipse View Post
actually they proved it does...simple physics...higher momentum harder to slow it down and change direction. momentu m equals MASS times velocity. the heavier something is and if it is traveling equal speed of something lighter then the more chance it will stay on course. also...when a larger bullet hits a small branch...it will fragment into much larger pieces than a smaller bullet and those pieces will retain a faster straighter trajectory than a lighter bullet so yes...larger bullets are better in the brush but it has to be significantly larger lik 80 grains vs 180 grains
I am going to get myself in trouble here but... lets start another thread/poll to see what everybody thinks about the virtue of big bullets vs. small bullets when shooting through light/ moderate brush. maybe we could get a few physics professor to weigh in!!!
Old 11-21-2013, 07:23 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewer View Post
I am going to get myself in trouble here but... lets start another thread/poll to see what everybody thinks about the virtue of big bullets vs. small bullets when shooting through light/ moderate brush. maybe we could get a few physics professor to weigh in!!!
I agree. Provide links to information, not opinion based. Or what somebody thinks physics proves. It's been hashed on every shooting and hunting forum out there for years, with little proof either way.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:02 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Duerr View Post
Monday morning out at the Range I was doing my final work up for my Deer Hunting load in my .243 AI. I will be shooting the Sierra Pro Hunter 44.2gr of H4350, I will crono them this week. Several guys I was talking to asked me what I was going to be hunting with for Mule Deer this fall in Nevada, when I told them they both said, "Big Mistake the .243 is not a Deer Cartridge we have seen way to many deer lost to the .243". So, thats five guys so far that have said the same thing. Yet I would bet that just as many Deer are lost each year to .270's and 30-06's as to the .243 All the years I have hunted with the .243 I have yet to loose one. Several years I hunted with a guy that used a 22-250 shooting 53 gr Barnes bullets he took his shots carefully and was a great shot and he never lost a Mule Deer...........
Lots of thoughts out there ......Trouble with saying that even though the deer was well hit we never found it ...........is that you cant prove it was well hit.

G
Here is a large NC old whitetail I shot today with Hornady Superformance 80gr. gmx 243 at 182 yards. Shot thru and thru. Walked fast for 50 yards and dead.

Old 11-21-2013, 10:23 PM
Banned

Man, you did that deer a favor! Poor old guy was dying of old age!LOL. Cool buck.

Tests have proven that big bullets, small bullets, whatever bullets, do NOT work well in brush. A small twig will throw any of them off. The "brush gun" theory is pure BS. A brush gun is a short, fast-handling gun that allows you to rapidly get on target. Caliber is not a big deal in the big picture.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:33 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbhooper View Post
Man, you did that deer a favor! Poor old guy was dying of old age!LOL. Cool buck.

Tests have proven that big bullets, small bullets, whatever bullets, do NOT work well in brush. A small twig will throw any of them off. The "brush gun" theory is pure BS. A brush gun is a short, fast-handling gun that allows you to rapidly get on target. Caliber is not a big deal in the big picture.
Ditto that entire post!!!
Old 11-22-2013, 12:15 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbhooper View Post

I agree with this completely. I have seen it happen quite a few times with a 30-06 using 180 grain bullets where they deflected a lot when hitting small branches. My .243 shooting .85 gr Sierra HPBT Game Kings would explode when hitting small branches. My advise with light or heavy bullets try not to hit ANYTHING before the bullet gets to your deer etc.

joseph