Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Deer Hunting

So whats wrong with the .243 on Deer?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2013, 08:15 AM
Banned

Re: So whats wrong with the .243 on Deer?

I got rid of my .243, but I do have a 6mm and it has been a great shooter. It has killed over 100 white-tailed deer and some antelope with no issues. I load Hornady 100-grain Interlocks right at 3000 fps. It has killed deer from close to out past 300 yards. Doing summer depredation work, I found that I much preferred the head, neck and high shoulder shots over lung shots because blood trailing in tangled swamps during mosquito season is no fun!

Every gun/bullet can lead to a lost animal if things don't go right, but usually, a good hit with a 6mm bullet is a dead animal.
Old 11-21-2013, 01:10 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbhooper View Post
I got rid of my .243, but I do have a 6mm and it has been a great shooter. It has killed over 100 white-tailed deer and some antelope with no issues. I load Hornady 100-grain Interlocks right at 3000 fps. It has killed deer from close to out past 300 yards. Doing summer depredation work, I found that I much preferred the head, neck and high shoulder shots over lung shots because blood trailing in tangled swamps during mosquito season is no fun!

Every gun/bullet can lead to a lost animal if things don't go right, but usually, a good hit with a 6mm bullet is a dead animal.
I agree with this statement. However, to me...overkill is always better unless you are a meat saving hog i.e. dont want to destroy the front shoulders. My fiance uses a 243 and has killed deer no problem. I just think, if you can shoot a heavier caliber without flinching and shoot it well, you might as well go with a bigger caliber. If that buck of a lifetime is right behind a small amount of leafy branches and it is the only shot you have before he dissappears, I would rather have a 165+ grain bullet shooting through it. I know some guys on here will say...in that situation dont take the shot but if the deer is very close to the brush you are shooting through then a HEAVY bullet traveling fast enough will easily make it through and stay on target. It is when you shoot through thick stuff and the deer isnt close enough i.e. a few feet away that the bullets get off target and can wound or miss the deer. Needless to say, my fiance wants a 308, 270, or 3006 as her next rifle.
Old 11-21-2013, 01:33 PM
Gold Member

What about a .260 or 7mm-08

The 130gr out of the 260 looks better than the 105 for the shot you talked about. The 140 or 150 looks even better out of a 7mm-08

If I needed more gun than my .243AI and the 105 Berger I would take a long look at the 6.5-06AI and the Berger 140 The great thing about the lighter recoiling rifles is that you can have it built lighter and don't need a muzzle break.

A 140 berger has a BC of .612 in a .308 you have to go up to a 210gr to get better than that. In the .284 you need to go up to the 168 gr....................

A well placed 140 on a Deer even if there is limbs in the way.....................

G
Old 11-21-2013, 02:37 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigeclipse View Post
I agree with this statement. However, to me...overkill is always better unless you are a meat saving hog i.e. dont want to destroy the front shoulders. My fiance uses a 243 and has killed deer no problem. I just think, if you can shoot a heavier caliber without flinching and shoot it well, you might as well go with a bigger caliber. If that buck of a lifetime is right behind a small amount of leafy branches and it is the only shot you have before he dissappears, I would rather have a 165+ grain bullet shooting through it. I know some guys on here will say...in that situation dont take the shot but if the deer is very close to the brush you are shooting through then a HEAVY bullet traveling fast enough will easily make it through and stay on target. It is when you shoot through thick stuff and the deer isnt close enough i.e. a few feet away that the bullets get off target and can wound or miss the deer. Needless to say, my fiance wants a 308, 270, or 3006 as her next rifle.
You may want to check your information on a HEAVY bullet traveling fast enough it will easily make it through and stay on target. That has been debunked a few times. It is all related to the distance the animal is from the brush.

Nobody is denying that a larger caliber will also kill deer. Just not needed for those that can shoot a 6mm accurately and with a little common sense.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:00 PM
Banned

I posted that I have used my 6mm with great success and they are effective, BUT I still prefer my 7 mag or .308 for most hunting. I think that the 6 mms are great for antelope and deer in open country, but I still prefer the larger calibers. I would not even consider a .243/6mm for elk unless that was the only rifle that I had or could borrow.

There is no such thing as overkill, unless you just cannot handle the recoil of a big rifle.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:27 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackinSD View Post
You may want to check your information on a HEAVY bullet traveling fast enough it will easily make it through and stay on target. That has been debunked a few times. It is all related to the distance the animal is from the brush.

Nobody is denying that a larger caliber will also kill deer. Just not needed for those that can shoot a 6mm accurately and with a little common sense.
thats why I stated the distance of the aniomal from the brush as well...
Old 11-21-2013, 04:54 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigeclipse View Post
thats why I stated the distance of the aniomal from the brush as well...
I guess I should have added that it has almost nothing to do with caliber.