Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Deer Hunting

So whats wrong with the .243 on Deer?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2013, 08:27 AM
Gold Member

So whats wrong with the .243 on Deer?

Monday morning out at the Range I was doing my final work up for my Deer Hunting load in my .243 AI. I will be shooting the Sierra Pro Hunter 44.2gr of H4350, I will crono them this week. Several guys I was talking to asked me what I was going to be hunting with for Mule Deer this fall in Nevada, when I told them they both said, "Big Mistake the .243 is not a Deer Cartridge we have seen way to many deer lost to the .243". So, thats five guys so far that have said the same thing. Yet I would bet that just as many Deer are lost each year to .270's and 30-06's as to the .243 All the years I have hunted with the .243 I have yet to loose one. Several years I hunted with a guy that used a 22-250 shooting 53 gr Barnes bullets he took his shots carefully and was a great shot and he never lost a Mule Deer...........
Lots of thoughts out there ......Trouble with saying that even though the deer was well hit we never found it ...........is that you cant prove it was well hit.

G
Old 08-06-2013, 09:30 AM
Silver Member

Re: So whats wrong with the .243 on Deer?

243 is good to go in my book. Like most will say... shot placement, the load you use, and the deers will to live will most likely dictate the outcome.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:09 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightflight View Post
243 is good to go in my book. Like most will say... shot placement, the load you use, and the deers will to live will most likely dictate the outcome.
+1

If used properly I will do the job. I have killed many deer with a 22/250 but I also passed up many shots because I knew that conditions and shot placement were not good enough fos the light weight bullet.

If I were hunting under perfect conditions and had no issues with retrieving the game after the shot
I would not hesitate to use a 243. But as everyone knows most of the time conditions and shot
placement are not the best and a larger caliber is recommended.

The larger caliber bullets can improve your chances under poor conditions and possibly make the difference if you encounter that once in a lifetime trophy and don't feel like you should make the shot with a small caliber rifle.

In heavy brush,(Poor tracking/recovery) high winds or long ranges the edge goes to larger bullets with more down range energy.

There is little very chance of having to much rifle, but a high risk of having to little when the chips are down.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM
Old 08-06-2013, 10:49 AM
Platinum Member

The case is merely the launching platform for the bullet, choose the right bullet and place it correctly inside it's effective range and you'll pile them up 100%. I've not seen a deer or elk for that mater that would not get piled up with a 105 Berger from a 243.

We shoot mule deer all the time with a 22-250 and a 60gr Berger not an issue!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 08-06-2013, 11:20 AM
Gold Member

This big Wyoming mulie would disagree with the guys at the range........85 grain Barnes at 300 yards:
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
So whats wrong with the .243 on Deer?-wyoming-2012-2-.jpg  

NRA Life Member
ISRA Member
RMEF Member
Old 08-06-2013, 12:57 PM
Platinum Member

my 28 with the 243 say other wise. maybe if you get a sample size of 100 with each caliber?? still conditions are hardly ever exactly the same.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:12 PM
Gold Member

But its still true that a poorly placed shot out of a Magnum is still a poorly placed shot and I dont think that its going to bail you out.