Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Deer Hunting


Reply

should I go 260 or 6.5-06 questions

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #8  
Old 05-31-2013, 10:32 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 176
Re: should I go 260 or 6.5-06 questions

I personally dealt with the same dilemma years ago when wanting to build a 6.5mm hunting rifle.

Ended up building a 6.5mm Remington Magnum on a long action. It is much faster than the 6.5-284 or 6.5-06 if you want to push it, and has a shorter case length than both so that VLD bullet seating is not an issue when wanting to feed from a magazine.

I have killed 13 animals to date with the 6.5 RM using 140gr Berger VLD's. Can't think of a better deer rifle.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-01-2013, 12:46 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Lynchburg, TN
Posts: 735
Re: should I go 260 or 6.5-06 questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrillDog View Post
I personally dealt with the same dilemma years ago when wanting to build a 6.5mm hunting rifle.

Ended up building a 6.5mm Remington Magnum on a long action. It is much faster than the 6.5-284 or 6.5-06 if you want to push it, and has a shorter case length than both so that VLD bullet seating is not an issue when wanting to feed from a magazine.

I have killed 13 animals to date with the 6.5 RM using 140gr Berger VLD's. Can't think of a better deer rifle.
Drilldog
The 6.5 RM is a great deer cartridge. If you look though, I think you'll see that it has the same case length as the 6.5-284 Norma which is based on the 284 Win. which was designed to work in a short action. I, like you, put it in a long action so I can seat the Berger 140 gr. VLDs out long. The case capacity on the 6.5-284 is also a tiny bit bigger than the 6.5 RM so I would think the velocities would be about the same. I'm shooting the Berger 140 VLD at 3057 fps out of a 24 inch barrel. I'm guessing you're getting about the same out of your 6.5 RM, but I could be wrong.
__________________
WHEN YOU HUNT LONG RANGE, SOME TIMES THE SHOT IS THE TROPHY.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-02-2013, 04:22 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 176
Re: should I go 260 or 6.5-06 questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrodmar10 View Post
Drilldog
The 6.5 RM is a great deer cartridge. If you look though, I think you'll see that it has the same case length as the 6.5-284 Norma which is based on the 284 Win. which was designed to work in a short action. I, like you, put it in a long action so I can seat the Berger 140 gr. VLDs out long. The case capacity on the 6.5-284 is also a tiny bit bigger than the 6.5 RM so I would think the velocities would be about the same. I'm shooting the Berger 140 VLD at 3057 fps out of a 24 inch barrel. I'm guessing you're getting about the same out of your 6.5 RM, but I could be wrong.
I actually hunted with a load using RL-22 that pushed the 140gr VLD at 3210 fps. Barrel was a stainless McGowen 1 in 8.5" twist.

I quit using that load because brass life would get short in warmer temps cuz she was right at max and RL22 is temperature sensitive. So I found another load with RL17 and throttled her down to about 3130 fps and brass life has been excellent ever since.

Have also pushed the 120gr Sierra MK's over 3400 fps.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-03-2013, 12:11 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 176
Re: should I go 260 or 6.5-06 questions

OH! FYI, barrel length was 26"

I say "was" because I have since shot that barrel out. I rebuilt that same caliber on a different action with a Shilen 26" 1 in 8" twist barrel. I have yet to conduct load testing on the new barreled action, but I expect the same results.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-03-2013, 08:26 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: central Texas
Posts: 157
Re: should I go 260 or 6.5-06 questions

Wow! A big difference between the two. I own at least one of most the 6.5's. If you go .260 go with longer action for longer bullets. The 6.5-06 is basically the same ballistically as the 6.5x284 BUT you can get better barrel life and brass is cheaper using .25-06 Winchester. To get the best out of these two you need 24" or better in barrel length. You did not say what the primary use would be.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-04-2013, 09:15 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Gillette, WY
Posts: 2,706
Re: should I go 260 or 6.5-06 questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICANHITHIMMAN View Post
Well I live in that area and most shots are under 300 meters in my neck of the woods. I think the 260, 6.5 creedmoor or the 6.5x47 lapua are all good choices......

All parts of the NE i've seen fit this scenario perfectly. Even 500 and in i'm compelled to recommend the 260 over the '06 based 6.5mm. The extra snot of the '06 or x284 or Rem mag are just not warranted at short to intermediate ranges. The lower capacity of the 260 compared to the bigger cartridges should also allow longer barrel life, lessen recoil & promote the usage of a shorter barrel coupled with a short action all the while reducing overall weight. Win-win, at least for this particular situation.


t
__________________
"I, however, view ethics as an individual decision. My ethics are mine - and I won't explain or justify them to anyone else. I seek nobody's approval, just that of my own conscience. "

Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-04-2013, 09:48 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 176
Re: should I go 260 or 6.5-06 questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw6.0 View Post
All parts of the NE i've seen fit this scenario perfectly. Even 500 and in i'm compelled to recommend the 260 over the '06 based 6.5mm. The extra snot of the '06 or x284 or Rem mag are just not warranted at short to intermediate ranges. The lower capacity of the 260 compared to the bigger cartridges should also allow longer barrel life, lessen recoil & promote the usage of a shorter barrel coupled with a short action all the while reducing overall weight. Win-win, at least for this particular situation.


t
Absolutely nothing wrong with the 260. I've had one in the past and it was a great shooter with the 120gr bullets.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC