Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Deer Hunting

Which rifle to take to Saskatchewan?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2011, 09:26 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Which rifle to take to Saskatchewan?

I had thought about the ammo for the 260 also. That is why I initially was planning to use the 270. I have hunted a lot down around 0 F but never had a freeze up but I will certainly make sure not to over lube on whichever I take. I have 7mm Rem Mag that is .25 MOA Shooter and a 308 Norma mag that has a lot of experience in Africa and is well scoped but it is the same problem with the ammo on the 308 Norma and the glass is not as bright on the 7mm.

The 270 has dropped a lot of animals in its tracks with the 140 gr Accu bonds and I don't know if I can shoot a black cat in a dark cave with it but it brings in the light very well. And with the bright optics and the .270 being very popular ammo I may be back to carrying the 270. Especially if nothing over 250 yards. At the warmer zero 250 yards is still point blank zero on a deer.

Thanks to all of you all for the imput. Its good to have choices but it is better to have guys share experiences to help you feel good about your choices.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:18 AM
Platinum Member

No matter which rifle you decide on, sounds like you'll be prepared.

I get a lot of pleasure from hearing about hunting trips, and would like to know how yours went when you get back. I also appreciated Joel's advice, but the pictures were the highlight for me. I don't know how he finds the time.....

Speaking of advice, I'll bet we have a mutual friend in Weatherford. Never met him, but intend to. "Shortgrass" on this forum. I have never got anything but solid advice from him. Don't know how he makes the time either.

Good thread! Tom

A big fast bullet will beat a little fast bullet every time
Old 11-07-2011, 11:46 AM
Bronze Member

Tom, Yes Joel's pics were awesome and I hope to have some to show and I will try to share them when I get back. The advice on this site is always very helpful. Thank you too Joel for the idea of shot length.

And I would like to know who Shortgrass is. With the dry year we have had I certainly know what it is. And He may be one of the great guys around here that I bug all the time with my questions and have a great time with visiting locally. If not I would love to meet them too. There are several very proficient and knowledgable shooters around here that I know of and would certainly like to meet, I just have not had the honor yet.

But thanks again to everyone for the advice and I hope to do you all proud and post some good pictures.