Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Deer Hunting

Which rifle to take to Saskatchewan?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2011, 01:35 PM
Bronze Member

Which rifle to take to Saskatchewan?

I am leaving by way of Dallas to go to Saskatchewan for big whitetail in one week. My question is, do I take the old Mark V in 270 Win with the Zeis 3-9X50 or the 260 Rem AI that I worked up the hunting loads for with the Hornady 140 gr SST's. The 260 out performs the 270 and I have a 4-16X50 Viper PST on it. The variables are the Mark V is much lighter to get to the stand and to hold in the stand, but I would not feel comfortable shooting it past 350 yards with only a duplex scope. The 260 has been verified and shot our to 794 yards. The outfitter delivers us to the stands in the morning and picks us up in the evenings. We are to have rests if we are in blinds or a bar around a ladder stand if we are in those and I use a shooting stick for more stability then too. One last variable is low light visibility. I believe it would be a little better with the Zeis. And I also do not know that I would ever have any kind of a long shot available. Anyone hunt in the transitional terrain up there and have any recommendations?
Old 11-03-2011, 03:34 PM
Silver Member

Re: Which rifle to take to Saskatchewan?

Maybe you could mount the Zeiss on the 260....Those "golden hours" of low light usually produce the most whitetails......
Just a thought,
Randy
Old 11-03-2011, 06:12 PM
Platinum Member

Be sure to get the paperwork done on your rifle that you take Canada can be tough on guns brought into country.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:46 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

I've hunted the "fringe" area in Northern Saskatchewan for many years, particulary north of Candle Lake and in the Falling Horse area. I was fortunate to have killed many big Whitetail over the years.
Both of the rifles you mentioned will be adequate for the type of hunting you will do. It's primarily stand hunting with shots under 250 yards or so. Some of the stands will only afford 100 yards or less...

In the days I was hunting up there, my caliber of choice was the Rem 7 mag, and I used 175 gr Trophy Bonded bullets. One of the bucks I killed with that combination was well over 340 lbs, and he didn't stand a chance to a well placed shot..

My biggest suggestion to you is to put the best glass you can on the rifle you choose to take, and make sure that rifle is free of any excessive lubricant.

Here's a few from my earlier days...
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Which rifle to take to Saskatchewan?-sask1.jpg   Which rifle to take to Saskatchewan?-sask2.jpg  

Which rifle to take to Saskatchewan?-sask3.jpg  

"Character is who you are when nobody is watching"
Old 11-04-2011, 10:08 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNbogboy View Post
Maybe you could mount the Zeiss on the 260....Those "golden hours" of low light usually produce the most whitetails......
Just a thought,
Randy
I like this choice. Days are getting short, and dark.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:11 AM

Take a bayonet for that .260AI in case they lose your ammo or it's held up in customs for whatever reason. You won't find any of it there on any shelves or any anywhere else for that matter. I take the .270 with ammo available if the worst happens and it's one of the greatest North American hunting rounds ever tied with or narrowly behind a 30-06. It will get the job done.

Changing optics a week before the hunt is also setting you up for failure. With the money I am sure you have tied to this opportunity go with the Mk V that's wearing the Zeiss already. Also Joel says the shots are well within the range of 350 yards.

If you put that Zeiss on a 794 yard gun you've just got another 350 yard gun no way around that.

Good luck with your hunt!
Old 11-06-2011, 01:09 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Which to Saskatchewan?

I'm a fan of both calibers, but being an old guy, I trust the .270. You got some real good pieces of advice about being sure the rifle is only very lightly lubricated, particularly inside the bolt. I've seen Weatherby's with the bolts full of heavy grease. One locked up the firing pin at -18 deg F. I also like the advice about whichever scope is the best in low light / poor visibility. I would be hesitant to change the scopes at this late date, so the scope would also be a tie-breaker for me. The .270 Win ammo would be available if your ammo doesn't make it, but I don't know what to tell you about assuring that Canadian Customs will pass your rifle. It should be routine, but......

One more thing. Try to have a zero as near as possible to the temperatures the rifle and ammo will be subjected to on the hunt. It should be warmer inside a stand, so it may not matter at 100 yds, but at longer range, a warm weather zero could cause a low hit, or even a miss.

Now, having said that I like both the calibers you mentioned, I have to add that my choice would be a larger cartridge. My go-to rifle is a .30 x .378 with 200gr Accubonds. I'm not a great shot, and I suck at doping wind, so I compensate by using big fast bullets. Years ago, Connie Brooks at Barnes told me I was the only person who had ever asked if they would make some 400 -500gr .458 cal boattail X bullets.

Good luck and good hunting! Tom

A big fast bullet will beat a little fast bullet every time