Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Deer Hunting

Quality Hunting Knives

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2008, 08:40 PM
Silver Member

Re: Quality Hunting Knives

Thanks for all your input!Have been lookin at all these brands & more.Ebay&GunBroker list hundreds!Any place else to look?Any opinions on BlackJack,Anza,Boker or Puma?Had aColdSteel CarbonHunter briefly.My Eskimo guide loved it so I gave it to him.Coldsteel lists stainless only now.I'll keep lookin! Dskiper
Old 08-18-2008, 08:52 PM
Gold Member

Save your money and get a Ruana. You'll never regret it!!
Old 08-18-2008, 09:00 PM
Platinum Member

I have tons of different knives, customs, fixed, folding etc etc. Several years ago I discovered CRKT knives and have been using them ever since. For way under $100 they are great knives. They cycle their models from year to year, my favorite is a 3" blade model similar to this one.

Carson M16 Compact EDC

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 08-18-2008, 09:27 PM
Platinum Member

I also say check out the CRKT selection(s). I picked a used one up in Boise, ID for $30.00. Guy didn't know what he had and I scooped it up. Best knife I've ever owned by far..JohnnyK.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:54 AM

Three questions need to be answered. Do you want a knife made from stainless or high carbon steel? Do you want a custom or factory knife? Fixed blade or folder? Around the price you quoted I'd choose a Ray Kirk Medicine Blade. He's an ABS Mastersmith, the knife is hand forged 52100 and will do all you ask. Ray has a website I think called rakerknives, he's a fellow hunter and a true gentleman.
Old 08-19-2008, 03:27 AM
Silver Member

What about all the Grohmenn Knives i have 3 russel belt knives and would not use anything else , also they a very cheap to buy some are under 100 the others are just over.

JAWZ
Old 08-19-2008, 05:43 AM
Silver Member

Grohmann is a good choice but I prefer their non stainless blades which can be special ordered. Good knife.

Runana makes knives not far from me and they are good knives. They will always be sought after and they aren't stratospherically expensive.

Mike Mann is a well known maker in my neck of the woods and his prices are in your range. I have his Nessemuk knife.
Hunting and Skinning Knives
The Cliff Knife + Fishing Knives

Here is a nice piece for $119
C.T. Fischer Knives - Nessmuk-style Sheath Knife

Yes, you can tell I like traditional styles and love my Nesse's. I figure if it worked well 100 yrs or so ago, it'll still work well today. I don't this Fischer Nessemuk yet but I plan on ordering one in the future. His version is different than my other Nesse and I like his style. Still my Mike Mannn Nesse is a kick butt blade. I picked it up used for $69. Yea I got lucky for sure.