Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Deer Hunting

powerline lr opportunity? thoughts/experience

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2011, 09:18 AM
Silver Member

powerline lr opportunity? thoughts/experience

ive been lr in northcentral pa hunting for 10 years or so. have some descent spots. always looking for more.most spots are looking into steep hardwood covered ridges. i did recently find a few opertunties on a powerline. can see real good for 5 to 600 yards. but only on powerline. ridges to left and right are not quite steep enough to see into woods. is it woth my time to hunt at a spot like this? powerline is covered in fall grass. can see it very good?what do you think?
Old 12-30-2011, 09:48 AM
Gold Member

Re: powerline lr opportunity? thoughts/experience

Sounds like a Sendero to me. That and gas pipeline ROWs are both good options her in TN. As long as you have woods on both sides the deer will cross it. If it's a narrow powerline you have to be ready because they may cross it pretty quickly.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:42 AM
Silver Member

I hunt a two power line wide piece of land here in Virginia west of Quantico...usually I'm the spotter. I make a range card and use combo bino/rangefinder. Use the rangecard out to 300 and range em beyond that...out to 600. Longest to date is 384 yards. Sometimes the does just truck on through. I had a buck sniffing a Doe's trail for over 10 minutes...in and out of brushy cover. I hunt antlerless deer til mid March on this piece of land. The only open land I really have access to.

Matt
Old 09-04-2012, 10:44 AM
Bronze Member

Powerlines in PA are ab out the best long range setups you can get in this state, deer regularly cross them, just be ready to do your calculations quick, they rarely give you much time. all but one of my long range deer kills in pa have been on powerlines
Old 09-06-2012, 01:16 PM
Gold Member

power line hunting is my plan for this year....in a new aera, and the right of ways are the best open areas, between a couple different spots I've seen as potential bedding and watering areas
Old 09-06-2012, 01:25 PM
Bronze Member

i think they're about the best areas to get long shots on whitetails here in PA, also like sitting on them in late winter for shots on yotes