Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Deer Hunting

PAID Hunting trip with father In law. What to expect.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2013, 07:37 PM
Platinum Member

Re: PAID Hunting trip with father In law. What to expect.

Bird hunting is a lot different than a canned big game hunt! Once the birds are released, if the operator has raised them in a big enough flight pen so the birds can develop properly, that type of operation can be as good as hunting wild birds. I'm not quite following you as far as your statement that the pheasant operation is fenced. The enclosed flight pens where they are raised would be the only enclosure and you don't shoot them in there. I go to a 300+ acre farm down near Marcellus once in a while just to keep my pointer happy and he doesn't know a bird he points isn't wild because when they flush you can't tell the difference. You still have to find the birds and shoot well on some good flushes, so it's not like it's a sure thing or I wouldn't go there. I also like a nice pheasant breast to supplement the birds I get in November on our North Dakota hunt that I do every year.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:08 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgun 30-06 View Post
Bird hunting is a lot different than a canned big game hunt! Once the birds are released, if the operator has raised them in a big enough flight pen so the birds can develop properly, that type of operation can be as good as hunting wild birds. I'm not quite following you as far as your statement that the pheasant operation is fenced. The enclosed flight pens where they are raised would be the only enclosure and you don't shoot them in there. I go to a 300+ acre farm down near Marcellus once in a while just to keep my pointer happy and he doesn't know a bird he points isn't wild because when they flush you can't tell the difference. You still have to find the birds and shoot well on some good flushes, so it's not like it's a sure thing or I wouldn't go there. I also like a nice pheasant breast to supplement the birds I get in November on our North Dakota hunt that I do every year.
It's security fenced farmland replete with no trespassing signs. Never been there Inside) but I've driven the perimeter before and I've heard about the owners from others so it's part presumption on my part and part fact as the tract isn't that big in the first place.

I don't hunt birds at all. In fact, our property in Big Rapids is loaded with turkeys. I've sat in a deer blind (we have a couple) on the property and watched in amazement as a group oif a hundred or so wild turkeys come marching past, in lockstep, their heads and necks all moving as one. I stay real still and quiet until they get past and just rustle a bit. They all stop like one bird, turn their heads (altogether) and move off in a different direction. Never ceases to amaze me. They must know I don't hunt wild turkeys somehow.

Myself, I like roast Long Island Duck and KFC ocassionally but thats it for fowl and me.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:21 PM
Platinum Member

You should try a Spring turkey hunt at your place in Big Rapids if you have a lot of birds in the area. It's a blast calling a big longbeard within close shotgun distance and I think you'd like the breast on them. The only birds I like for table fare are turkey and pheasant breasts.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:44 PM
Platinum Member

I believe there are more turkeys on the property than students at Ferris......

I dont even own a shotgun other than a side by side antique mantel piece. The only thing I own that takes shotshells besides the mantel piece is my Bond derringer.

We have bears too. Never saw one but saw plenty of footprints.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:27 PM
Platinum Member

That's funny and it sounds like the birds are safe on your place! Yep, bears are working their way south all the way down to about a line from Muskegon east toward the thumb.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:20 PM
Platinum Member

From the size of the paw prints, I don't particularly want to meet one when I'm up there walking around looking for morels. First time I saw a paw print, I thought of Sasquatch.

Other than the prints however, they seem to be pretty elusive. Thats ok with me.

Not sure what they eat so long as it's not me. The deer are very plentiful and so are the turkeys.

2 years ago in late doe season, it was bitter cold I was leaning against a maple tree dozing, warmly dressed and a doe walked right beside me, I could have reached out and rubbed her back. I let her walk off, never shouldered the rifle. I figured if she came that close unafraid, she could enjoy the year like I was.

I base my harvest solely on freezer capacity. We abut the Manistee Forest so the wildlife abound and if I do an out west hunt, I don't hunt up north.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:04 PM

As for the naysayers about the "canned hunt", if the deer were not raised in pens on the 3000 acre property, you can bet they know every escape route and hidey hole on the property. If you do not do your part with scent, movement and noise control, they will bust you quick and good luck getting a shot in thick timber.

Venison tastes just as good and fills a freezer just as well if it comes from the wide open free range spaces or from a 3000 acre ranch.

If your FIL is paying, enjoy the time in the field with him, get to know him better, and fill the freezer to provide for his daughter the way your vows told you to.

Even though my FIL's idea of hunting is sleeping in until 7:00AM, starting a campfire and eating breakfast and drinking coffee until 9:00AM, then jump in the truck while smoking a cigarette and drive around until 11:00AM then head back for lunch and more coffee until 3:00PM, then jump back in the truck and drive until dark and head back. Wake up and repeat, all the week without a single shower or washcloth hitting the body. I still enjoyed the time with him in the field. I just snuck out and hunted alone from time to time on my own.

I would hunt a "canned hunt" if it was free ANYTIME.