Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Deer Hunting

PAID Hunting trip with father In law. What to expect.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2013, 06:34 PM
Bronze Member

Re: PAID Hunting trip with father In law. What to expect.

My son-in-law and I became best friends on a very rugged week long Coues Whitetail hunt. He killed his first deer on that hunt. I taught him how to bone it out and he packed it to camp. Since then we have hunted Coues, elk, pheasants and bobwhites together. We shoot trap together when I get up to the Northwest. We have also become fishing buddies and have taken two fly fishing catch and release float trips for trout and 2 salmon trips. I don't have a son so this has been great for me.
Do yourself a favor just go without expectation, quit worrying about anything and enjoy the ride. You have nothing to prove. It will be the best trip of your life.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:06 PM
Platinum Member

I've never heard of a place like you're describing that isn't high fenced. What's the name of this place he's taking you to?
Old 06-16-2013, 09:37 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgun 30-06 View Post
I've never heard of a place like you're describing that isn't high fenced. What's the name of this place he's taking you to?

I agree. That was the first thing I thought of when you mentioned "Pay for my deer". If that is the case, you can expect to kill a big buck. Remember though, the bigger the buck, the more he pays. You will also probably have a "guide" with you the entire time, telling you exactly what he scores, age, and show you his mother and father's papers. To each his own...
Old 06-16-2013, 10:11 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasternNChunter View Post
I agree. That was the first thing I thought of when you mentioned "Pay for my deer". If that is the case, you can expect to kill a big buck. Remember though, the bigger the buck, the more he pays. You will also probably have a "guide" with you the entire time, telling you exactly what he scores, age, and show you his mother and father's papers. To each his own...

LOL! That's funny and I don't care who you are!!!
Old 07-01-2013, 07:44 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgun 30-06 View Post
I will have to ask him what it is called.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:21 AM
Silver Member

Yes, it sounds like a 'high fence' type operation, somewhat 'canned'. I would just go with it & enjoy the experience. It just won't be anything like a true 'big woods' hunt.

The weather should be moderate, you could check historical temps, I'd bet upper 60's for a high & maybe near freezing at night. Your gun sounds like more than enough, just put some thought to shot placement.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:44 PM
Platinum Member

There is a phesant operation near us that does the same thing. It's fenced and the birds are captive. Personally, I think that crap should be legislated out of existence. You pay for the 'hunt and you pay per bird. Sort of a gentlemans (pussy) hunting experience. I hear it's popular with the wannabe hunter crowd.

That isn't hunting at all, thats 'shooting pigs in a barrel' as the old saying goes....

With the amount of deer that wind up as hood ornaments every year, makes good sense to get out in the woods and have a real hunt.

If it was me, I'd go to commune with the FIL and carry an empty rifle or take a camera and record the event.