Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Deer Hunting

Oregon- Malheur River Unit # 66 for mule deer.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2012, 11:07 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Oregon- Malheur River Unit # 66 for mule deer.

WINMAG, ( Oregon- HORRIBLY MIS-MANAGED for years) this is why I started last year going to Utah to hunt. And you get to see Moose every day out hunting
Old 06-21-2012, 10:02 PM
Silver Member

Ill be buck hunting the Malheur this year during rifle season. I have hunted chukkar in this unit for years, and over the years i have seen several mature bucks. I think it comes down to the basics of hunting mule deer, getting away from roads and glassing.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash1055 View Post
Hey Everybody,

I am thinking of putting in for a mule deer tag in eastern Oregon unit 66. I have 10 preference points so should be no trouble drawing the unit.

Does anyone have any advice or information on whether this would be a good hunt?

Any information appreciated.

Thanks

be prepared for all weather. i have been going for many years now and have seen 8 degree as well as 95 degree weather. we go to the top of stockade ridge. best taken was an eight point but i always get one ( if i have a tag) we all go even if we all dont get a tag. bring the tools and stuff to fix anything...i once broke the main leaf spring and we actually built a wooden truss and i drove it home. have good tires with strong side walls. if your towing something bring chains, if its wet/rain the silt turns to grease and even 4x4 towing trailers cant get out. good luck. oh ya, bring more than one pair of good boots. 30 days untill i head up.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash1055 View Post
Hey Everybody,

I am thinking of putting in for a mule deer tag in eastern Oregon unit 66. I have 10 preference points so should be no trouble drawing the unit.

Does anyone have any advice or information on whether this would be a good hunt?

Any information appreciated.

Thanks

be prepared for all weather. i have been going for many years now and have seen 8 degree as well as 95 degree weather. we go to the top of stockade ridge. best taken was an eight point but i always get one ( if i have a tag) we all go even if we all dont get a tag. bring the tools and stuff to fix anything...i once broke the main leaf spring and we actually built a wooden truss and i drove it home. have good tires with strong side walls. if your towing something bring chains, if its wet/rain the silt turns to grease and even 4x4 towing trailers cant get out. good luck. oh ya, bring more than one pair of good boots. 30 days untill i head up.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:38 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDan View Post
Is that in the northern part of unit? We're going to be hunting the sage, southeast of Juntura.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmagator View Post
Is that in the northern part of unit? We're going to be hunting the sage, southeast of Juntura.
we are further south, by crowley ranch