Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Deer Hunting

ohio wildlife areas--- hunting any good?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2009, 11:12 PM

Re: ohio wildlife areas--- hunting any good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge Runner View Post
boca, welcome to LRH, this is the place to learn this stuff!
RR

Thanks Ridge! I've been reading here since you first turned me on to this site, figured I might as well post on the VERY FEW THINGS I actually have some experience with, such as ohio hunting haha. Thanks for all the great infp guys!
-Jake
Old 01-21-2009, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slymule View Post
Haven't hunted Ohio in 30 years but my guess would be its more crowded on public lands now than it was back then. I only hunted it once, down south on Ohio Power Co. land that was open to public hunting. Went out months before the season to scout, saw lots of big bucks, picked me out a spot and come opening morning I was sitting there an hour before the sun came up. Started watching vehicle lights driving in shortly after and when the sun came up and I could see around me - ORANGE EVERYWHERE, behind every tree, on every hillside, etc. I left by noon, right after I heard an ambulance coming. Come to find out somebody had shot a guy in the stomach with a 54 calibur muzzleloader. That was enough for me, I never went back.

On the flip side of that catastrophe, one of my most memorable hunts in my lifetime was hunting the Ravenna Arsenal. Not sure if they still do it but its a draw hunt they used to hold. Its a late season hunt and they pick 100 guys to hunt on every Saturday for six straight weekends. Success is like 98%+, alot of big bucks and it was a TON OF FUN. Never seen so many deer in all my life. You might check and see if they're still putting on that hunt.
And yes, public land still gets a little crowded, but no need for that, so far I've never had trouble getting private land here. Also, Ravenna still has their hunts. I live about twenty minutes from there. I've never done it because I always get plenty of deer, but I have three friends that have, deer everywhere and big bucks! I do occasionally drive around the arsenal just to look at deer!
-Jake
Old 01-22-2009, 04:10 PM
Silver Member

do the resident landowners look at nonresident hunters as "vermin" and wont even give them the time of day,much less permission to hunt thier land? jason
Old 01-23-2009, 02:15 AM

Well...I know we wouldn't... We have only kicked on guy off and he lives up the street, absolutely no respect at all. I think, at least where I am from, If your a good person and show respect you shouldn't have much trouble. You may have to ask a few times, but like I said, I've never had trouble finding land to hunt. I hunt my own property....plus...somewhere in the area of 1800 acres of other private land.. its four different farms around my area. and they all let people on as long as you respect their stuff.
-Jake
Old 02-08-2009, 10:27 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30-06 boy View Post
do the resident landowners look at nonresident hunters as "vermin" and wont even give them the time of day,much less permission to hunt thier land? jason
That's what pennsylvanian's feel about Maryland hunter's. I live in w.md. and hunt in bedford co pa. Why, because i have my grandmothers place and recently purchased few more acre's. Im pretty well excepted there because i half grew up there. But, my little circle there has to be the most red necked, inner bread assholes i have ever seen. Love the term " outsider , marylander, etc. " Lets see we are all americans i thought, when it comes to hunting and deer especially it does something to those little marbles up stairs. But those same people can go to md. ,etc, and work make money but thats okey. Im not picking on Pa. but it really sucks anymore our feeling about our precious hunting ground. I told my one neighbor next year im going to bring in a bus load of Md. hunters and surround his property and kill every damn deer we can. I would like to go to ohio as mentioned along rt. 70 heard that is good hunting.
mike