Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Deer Hunting

New Deer Rifle - Suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2013, 03:55 AM
Gold Member

Re: New Deer Rifle - Suggestions

Given that you have set a $4K budget for rifle and optics, I truly believe you should reconsider the idea of beginning to reload later. I strongly recommend that you allocate $500 of your budget to a basic reloading setup. $3500 for rifle and scope will still get you a very nice rifle.

IMO, the words "long range" and "factory ammo" do not belong together. Spending $4k on rifle and scope to shoot long range and then feeding that same combo factory ammo is putting the cart before the horse in a big way. What you are proposing is analagous to spending big bucks on a high performance car and then insisting on putting only low octane pump gas in the tank.

There are a lot of great chamberings that would fit your needs if you handload. The better chamberings for what you want have very limited factory ammo availability under normal circumstances, let alone the current crazy environment. Even the highest performance rounds among them will leave a lot of performance on the table if you stay with factory ammo. For long range hunting/shooting, you really need to be able to control all of the variables where your ammo is concerned. Only handloading will allow you to do that.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:55 AM
Gold Member

If you insist on factory ammo, I would stick with 7mm Rem Mag or .270 Win. for reasons of ammo availability and broad choice of loads that will increase your chances of finding a factory load that your rifle likes.

If you handload, your options open considerably. In addition to the above options, .257 Wby, .264 Win Mag, 6.5-284, 6.5-06, and .280AI would all be good options.

I have a recent production Winchester Model 70 in .264 Win Mag. I like it a lot. If you shop around, you can find one for $700-$800. If you are not happy with the factory barrel you can re-barrel it for another $500 or so and still have enough money left over for a very nice scope.

If you are more of a push feed guy, you can do the same with a Remington, Savage, etc. A better option might be to buy one of the Remington clone custom actions (Stiller, for example), put a quality barrel on it and the stock of your choice. I would expect you to be able to do that for $2k ish, again with plenty left over for a very nice scope. A Nosler Custom Model 48 would get you to about the same place in terms of quality and cost.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:37 AM

Yeah I'm starting to realize the absurdity of spending big cash and feeding the rifle factory stuff. I have absolutely zero experience with reloading and would like to choose a cartridge that wouldn't be too difficult to work with. I'll put some more research into the calibers you guys have suggested. Thanks.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:16 AM
Silver Member

If you don't reload I'd get something fairly common, at least with mail order. That said one of my very favorites is the 284 Winchester. Something like the 7mm-08 would be about ideal for TX deer, ammo still easy to get.

I didn't skim back to see your budget & if you wanted to go custom. A common Browning X-Bolt is a solid & easy choice.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:59 PM
Silver Member

Nice thing about calibers like 270, 30-06, 7mm Rem mag, 300 Win Mag, and the like is even if you do reload you can fall back on factory ammo if you need to.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:42 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cascabel View Post
Yeah I'm starting to realize the absurdity of spending big cash and feeding the rifle factory stuff. I have absolutely zero experience with reloading and would like to choose a cartridge that wouldn't be too difficult to work with. I'll put some more research into the calibers you guys have suggested. Thanks.
Thats what ballistics charts and reloading manuals are for. Every bullet manufacturer and powder manufacturer publishes a reloading manual and most have step by step instructions showing you just how to reload.

It's all out there for the reading.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:44 AM

If you don't reload but want high performance ammo for your custom rifle, check out Superior Ammo. I used them before rolling my own and they are great. Expensive but if you can afford a $3500+ rifle, then their ammo will fill your bill.