Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Deer Hunting

need input on honrady 165gr sst's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2011, 03:25 PM
Platinum Member

Re: need input on honrady 165gr sst's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgun 30-06 View Post
Excuse me Mr. Expert, but Hornady touts their SST for both rapid expansion AND deep penetration. That is why I believe what I stated in my last post may be correct as far as how they react at various distances. Incidentally, if I shouldn't have shot that buck with them where I did, why would I want to shoot him high on the shoulder where there is still a lot of bone? Also, with over 50 years shooting big game I don't think I need to hear that I didn't know what I was doing and should have more patience to wait for the perfect shot, LOL!!!
I think you may be referring to my response? If so I would like to clarify that nothing that I said was directed toward anyone's post to this thread. If I was responding to you I would have quoted your post, which I did not. I only read the OP and was posting my comments based on the information the OP had gotten regarding the SST's, that's it.

You may want to take a deep breath right now! Doesn't that feel better.

In response to your question. There is a big difference in bone density and strength when you compare the leg bone/shoulder joint and the blade of the shoulder. They aren't even comparable.

Also, I make assumptions that guys asking questions on this site are wanting answers based on LRH experience not point blank or traditional hunting shots. However, I do realize that as more and more folks join this forum that concept seems to be getting lost. For the LR game, for me that means 600 yards and beyond, I really like the SST in many cartridges. I am mostly a 1/2 mile and under hunter and that bullet will do well in many cases. And I have had good success with them at closer ranges as well, hence the story I offered.

I too like Hornady's BTSP. I have killed more animals with them than all the other bullets I use put together. I just wish they had a better BC for the LR game.

Scot E.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:45 PM
Platinum Member

Dang right I was referring to you and your post in reference to comments I made and I don't need to take any deep breaths! This is from your post referring to MY aiming point on the buck I mentioned: "Therefore you should not be aiming at the point of the shoulder". Then you ended with comments stating if a person can wait for the proper shot the SSTs are fine. That again, whether you posted it as a quote or not, was meant for me and don't say it wasn't. Also, the thread is not talking about 600+ yard long range shots or it would have been placed in that Forum! I am hear to learn along with everyone, but at 64 years old and having hunted since I was 6 and big game hunting for a good 50 years I don't need to be talked down to and that's what your post sounded like to me. Sorry if it wasn't, but it sure looks like it!
Old 12-02-2011, 04:08 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgun 30-06 View Post
Dang right I was referring to you and your post in reference to comments I made and I don't need to take any deep breaths! This is from your post referring to MY aiming point on the buck I mentioned: "Therefore you should not be aiming at the point of the shoulder". Then you ended with comments stating if a person can wait for the proper shot the SSTs are fine. That again, whether you posted it as a quote or not, was meant for me and don't say it wasn't. Also, the thread is not talking about 600+ yard long range shots or it would have been placed in that Forum! I am hear to learn along with everyone, but at 64 years old and having hunted since I was 6 and big game hunting for a good 50 years I don't need to be talked down to and that's what your post sounded like to me. Sorry if it wasn't, but it sure looks like it!
Friend,

I don't know how much clearer I can be. I only read the post by the person that started this thread and responded. I didn't read your post before posting. Maybe you have a guilty conscience? Ok, ok, I am just joking! Hitting the front leg, joint and lower shoulder bone is going to give almost any non-controlled expansion bullet the potential for problems. That is why I mentioned it. Sorry if it hit a nerve.

And FYI this entire site is about LRH (long range hunting), ie longrangehunting.com, so it doesn't matter which sub-category it is in they all in theory should be related to LRH. Having said that I realize there seems to be hundreds of sub-categories now so maybe the line is getting blurred.

I realize the OP stated he shoots shorter distances. This is the reason I shared a story of shooting a deer at closer ranges instead of the many others I could have used at further distances.

Sorry you found my attempt to help the OP lacking and think my only real intent was to belittle you. Neither were my intention.

Scot E.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:40 PM
Platinum Member

Whatever, but it seems a little funny that you specifically mentioned what I had stated in my post if you didn't even read it! Same goes with some of the other comments made if you didn't read the other member's posts, but only the OP like you stated. Anyway, if the SST is supposed to be a bullet that will penetrate deeply like Hornady claims, it's amazing how many people have come on various hunting sites stating the bullet blew up with little or no penetration at all regardless of whether it hit bone of just flesh. It would seem that if they want the polymer tip to initiate immediate expansion like it does that it would only be offered in a varmint grain or varmint calibers. Peace Bro!!!
Old 12-02-2011, 05:44 PM

wow, lots of feed back, all of it good thanks, sounds like a may want to look into the btsp a little more . im sorry if i started an argument but i think i posted my shooting range is 100 yards (i got bad eyes) and the woodlots here dont allow for much more than that unless i get to a power line right of way.
thank you everyone for shared comments

Tom
Old 12-02-2011, 06:01 PM
Bronze Member

Only used the 165 sst's out of a 308. Shot a few deer with them. My take, they do not really behave any different to the 168 a-max. The A-max is more accurate out of my rifle. The 165 sst is fairly soft which is great also for longer ranges but might create a problem on shorter ranges or higher speeds especially hitting some bone on entry. Just choose the spot you put the bullet into......if one can.
I cut open a few bullets just to see how they look inside.
left to right. Hornady 150gr interlock, 150gr Nos BT, 155a-max, 165sst,
165 nos bt, 190gr SMK

165 sst after going through head and traveling down the spine of a sika stag.

Entry and exit wound on this spike where equally sized. Shot was 90yds off hand and went a bit too far back. The spike was being chased by a dog earlier and very alert. Dropped on the spot. 165sst.

edi
Old 12-02-2011, 06:54 PM

thanks ejg for the pictures, worth a 1000 words.