Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Deer Hunting

Mulie hunt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2010, 05:34 PM
Gold Member

Re: Mulie hunt

also hate the orange but here in IN required during any firearm season. So I'm use to it. But makes me feel a little safer when all the idiots are out. Do you guys hunt public or private?
Old 07-21-2010, 06:51 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesthunter View Post
also hate the orange but here in IN required during any firearm season. So I'm use to it. But makes me feel a little safer when all the idiots are out. Do you guys hunt public or private?

I live and hunt mainly in unit 13 which is a draw unit for both deer and elk. Have spent years hunting unit 13, 18 and 22. Unit 13 is about 80% private but 18 and 22 are mostly public with 18 being the Hells Canyon Wilderness. As far as the orange goes there are drainages in all three units that if either horse back or backpacking you won’t see anyone and if you do he is probably just as talented as you looking for a good head and would not shoot anything that he has not identified.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 07-21-2010, 08:35 PM
Gold Member

Thanks. Looking towards a hunt prob 2013. Going to start putting in for points in a couple states.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:06 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesthunter View Post
Thanks. Looking towards a hunt prob 2013. Going to start putting in for points in a couple states.
Well, if you dont mind Orange, and have never been ''out west'', then the sky is the limmit. Montana, Colorado,Wyoming, Idaho, Utah, Arizona all have some gynormous bucks, and beautifull scenery. Take your pick. Your guaranteed to have the time of your life!
I think Long Time Long Ranger guides in Montana. I was reading a story on a 32'' buck or something early this spring. Do a search, and youll find the thread. Those boys shoot BIG deer!! Maybe that'll help you decide wich state/unit to apply for. I know you mentioned DIY, but If you dont draw for some reason, most guides are alotted a certain number of tags. If you book a hunt with them you dont have to draw. But, you also have to get led around by the teeth by a stranger, and have someone tell you when, and where, and what to shoot, etc. They have to hunt with all comer's. Guides want to make it home alive, and dont want to waste 3 days following a wounded animal that some iddiot gut shot, so you cant blame them for doing things the way they do. Its just not my style, I want an adventure, and I want to call my own shots. But the right guide can make all the difference, and you dont have to draw a tag. 6 of one -half dozen of the other......Both have thier +&-
Good luck

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 07-22-2010, 11:14 AM
Gold Member

Thanks, I have elk hunted Utah 300" 6x7 diy hunt. I have filmed in CO. Been all over yellowstone. I can't say I would never use a guied but have heard horror stories out west. Plus it always adds more money to cost of a hunt. I will have to talk to Long Time Long Ranger. Thanks again
Old 07-25-2010, 12:18 PM

I think Colorado is the best bet. Yes, the orange sucks but you have the best odds of taking home a trophy buck. There are many areas you can draw with no points or on your second choice. Getting your second choice will save your point. Also, try to limit your group size to around four, it will help your draw odds.

I've heard that the wolves are eating everything in Idaho now. No more moose hunts and limited draws in some areas. I used to hunt Idaho alot but then they raised the cost of tags almost double what other states were getting at the time. I called Idaho Fish and Game and talked to a lady who told me that Idaho offers a "Cadilac" hunt compared to other states. Yeah, right. Now their fees are pretty much in line with other states.

You will see other hunters in Colorado....just get off and away from the road and you'll do fine. If you want to get away from hunters, try Nevada. I've hunted whole seasons there and have only seen a few other hunters and most of them were chuckar hunters. It is a real "crap" shoot there. You can draw with no points or with 10. Definetly a "gamble".

Just my 2 cents. Moose
Old 09-04-2011, 06:16 PM
Bronze Member

Hey Midwest hunter I'm interested in your 2013 hunt. do you have anymore of the details worked out?