Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Deer Hunting

Mulie hunt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2010, 01:22 PM
Gold Member

Mulie hunt

Looking to do a do it your self hunt with several guys in 2013. Missed this year for preference points, but what would be a good state with good hunt odds? Will be a rifle hunt, on public land. I was thinking CO but don't know much about other states.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:34 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Mulie hunt

Idaho kicks butt. Non Resident tags in alot of units are O.T.C and you can use your buck tag on a black bear (non residents only) in some units, as well as go to town and buy another deer tag (doe only second tag). Prices are good, seasons are long, game is plentiful in most places.
I here good things about Colorado too, but the ''Hunter Orange'' law can kiss my @$$. I wont hunt in states that require it. Its a personal issue I have I guess. I just plain hate brite orange.....So why am I an OSU Beaver fan? The agg program, not the stupid colors.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 07-21-2010, 07:48 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winmag View Post
Idaho kicks butt. Non Resident tags in alot of units are O.T.C and you can use your buck tag on a black bear (non residents only) in some units, as well as go to town and buy another deer tag (doe only second tag). Prices are good, seasons are long, game is plentiful in most places.
I here good things about Colorado too, but the ''Hunter Orange'' law can kiss my @$$. I wont hunt in states that require it. Its a personal issue I have I guess. I just plain hate brite orange.....So why am I an OSU Beaver fan? The agg program, not the stupid colors.
I hate the orange as well. I know you spent time in MT, does that mean you will not hunt MT?

Steve
Old 07-21-2010, 10:05 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnMT View Post
I hate the orange as well. I know you spent time in MT, does that mean you will not hunt MT?

Steve
I think its a good Idea to have a kid wear color of some kind. Ill even wear color (red) if theres an abundance of city folks flingin lead in all directions, but why stay in an area like that? Why orange? Why not red or something that doesnt hurt your eyes? Heck I dont mind wearing my red Filson Double Mac. In fact I rather enjoy it durring elk season snow storms. But Ive never been to jail, so why make me dress up in orange like an escaped con?
I love Montana. But no, I will not hunt there if laws like that are enforced. Ill wear color (red) if I feel I need it. But nobody's gonna tell me I will wear orange when I hunt, or else..... They can get bent! Hikers dont have to wear it weather its hunting season or not. Nor do cyclers, or nature watchers etc. Only forced on folks who have a gun and a tag. No Thanks.
Please understand Im not bashing Mt. Its still one of my absolute favorite states in the union, and has some of the best, and brightest, down to earth folks I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. I just have a real big problemb with some states laws regarding the mandatory use of orange color during hunting season.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 07-21-2010, 11:00 AM
Platinum Member

Iím with winmag on this one. Idaho has some good deer units that have over the counter tags and there are some better units that are draw only.

I have never liked the hunter orange requirements of some states either and wonít hunt a state that does require orange.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 07-21-2010, 11:24 AM
Platinum Member

Man Idaho OTC Tags rock! Can you tell me what time of the year Elk season and deer season starts ?

Colorado makes you wear orange even while operating an ATV I found out the hard way , but the warden let me by with a verbal warning . he was dressed in normal clothing and riding a horse when he stopped me and showed me his badge . I wonder how he keeps from getting shot whilest not wearing his safety Orange ??? Seems like he should wear it as well if it's a "safety issue" .

BigBuck
Old 07-21-2010, 03:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuck View Post
Man Idaho OTC Tags rock! Can you tell me what time of the year Elk season and deer season starts ?

Colorado makes you wear orange even while operating an ATV I found out the hard way , but the warden let me by with a verbal warning . he was dressed in normal clothing and riding a horse when he stopped me and showed me his badge . I wonder how he keeps from getting shot whilest not wearing his safety Orange ??? Seems like he should wear it as well if it's a "safety issue" .

BigBuck

Most general season hunts in Idaho begin around the 10th of October. Of course there are early and late hunts that are on a draw.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein