Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Deer Hunting

Mules in NewMexico Unit34

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2011, 10:32 AM

Mules in NewMexico Unit34

Three of us drew unit34 deer\rifle in New Mexico this year - mid November - and was wondering if anyone had any luck harvesting in that area. All I can really find are elk posts, and apparently that unit is stocked to high heaven with elk. I'm sure the elk will be driving the mulies down so I was planning on staying sub 7500-8000ft elevation and scoping from ridges into underbrush on opposite hills and valleys. Any public land south\east of Cloudcroft that anyone has had luck on let me know. Will be tent camping that week, so need to stay within several miles of camp. Not bringing the horse to pack out. -thanks

Last edited by 7mm08Mule; 06-29-2011 at 10:54 AM.
Old 07-01-2011, 09:25 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Mules in NewMexico Unit34

I have never hunted that area but know it well. I have driven through there many times. It has very good potential for harvesting a very nice Mule Deer. If it were me, I would do exactly what you were thinking of doing. Lots of wooded area there so you are going to have to do a lot of glassing. I didnt look to see where you are from but it will probably be pretty cold by then and maybe snow. Weather is strange in New Mexico so you can never tell. Just be prepared for some colder weather.

Good luck!