Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Deer Hunting

Mule Deer and hot weather in Wyoming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2011, 10:11 PM
Gold Member

Re: Mule Deer and hot weather in Wyoming

What is considered "warm"? Apparently it will be cooling off a little over the next week, or at least that's what my wearer report says.

Movement early and late, deer bedded in brush, sounds like whitetails here in VA!
Old 09-29-2011, 10:15 PM
Platinum Member

I'd say (this time of year in my part of Wyoming) that anything over 70-75 during the day is warm. Reasoning is that we've already had some nights below freezing or just at freezing.

I've had some luck seeing movement during mid day when there's a cold front moving in, or the daytime temps are below 50.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:27 PM
Gold Member

thanks SBruce. predicted temps are around 70F. Unfortunately i'm still not certain if i will be able to go or not due to school/ college obligations....

Never thought i'd contemplate bringing my 12ga to WY!
Old 09-29-2011, 10:41 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliveralan View Post
thanks SBruce. predicted temps are around 70F. Unfortunately i'm still not certain if i will be able to go or not due to school/ college obligations....

Never thought i'd contemplate bringing my 12ga to WY!
LOL! Yea, as soon as you get that 12 in your hands, one will stop and look back from 400 yds away.

Closest muley buck I ever got (when I was young and agile) was 5 paces after a very slow careful stalk, shot him in the neck with a 270. Gotten a few under 50 yds, because they jumped out right under my feet. The one in my sig was hit at around 350 and he wasn't stopping for nothing, so I had to make a running shot on him............hit slighty low, so we tracked him, and my final shot was about 50 yds. He was hid out under a 3' tall cutbank and let me get right on top of him literaly before he jumped out. When I saw him, he was close enough to spit on!

Once they jump, they can put alot of brush and ditch between them and us in just a couple seconds, so if they haven't spotted you directly or smelled you, sometimes they'll stop a ways out and look back before going over the horizen.

Hopefully you can make it out.

Old 09-29-2011, 11:21 PM
Gold Member

Very nice buck you have in your sig! Good successful story to go with it too.

Sounds like (if legal for big game in WY) my 9mm S&W M&P on my hip with my 6.5x47L or 6.5mm Voodoo on a sling would cover most avenues! Heck, with the voodoo, 400yards is only 13" of drop (200yard zero), hold a mil high and let 'er rip!

Thanks for the advice, while antelope will be the main target, I do have a deer buck tag burning a hole in my pocket... And any advice or stories to help profile these deer , and hopefully help fill the tag, is much appreciated!
Old 10-05-2011, 03:03 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks again for your comments, I was lucky enough to harvest a great 6x5 on opening day at 325 yards when he stopped to give the fatal last look before he went over the top, even with a 90 degree high for the day. If someone can tell me how to post pics on here I have a few.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:43 PM
Silver Member

I'd like to see those pics. Do you have a photobucket account?